Cartridge Modifications

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone ever modified the external body of a cartridge to improve the sound?

Oh Yeah, I've put different bodies on my Denon 103D and my Denon 103r. Just beautiful. I will not spent another dollar on a cartridge. I've owned Rega, Grado Sonata and Platinum, ortofon, Stanton. there is only one upgrade that I will do and that's a nude contact line diamond as soon as my current stylus needs replacement and I can't wait! e Contact Line Diamond

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've done things like glued (dab of superglue) the stylus assembly to cartridge body, tried similar with blu-tak. Tried stiffening the mounting points, and damping the body with all sorts of things. (Old Radio Shack/Shure cartridges mostly) Denuded an Early Sumiko BP (P mount type) which worked pretty well but was nerve racking, installed it on an aluminum mount (not diy).. :D

Mounting DL-103/R in a metal or wood body is a huge improvement over the stock plastic body. Had a ZU Denon DL-103 for a year or so before I sold it along that was a clear improvement over the plastic bodied DL-103 in direct comparison.

Currently have an SPU GM/E II and a DL-103D. (on different tables/arms) The 103 seems like a candidate for a rehousing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.