DIY ipod passive pre-amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why wouldn't you just buy a 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo to RCA cable at a dollar store, or Radio Shack if you're feeling rich? A 2:1 difference in voltage output isn't much. And it's normal to have low impedance sources driving high impedance inputs. Good quality audio transformers are costly.

Whoever wrote that article doesn't have a clue about impedance and impedance matching in audioland.

Elsewhere on his site, he links to that article quite appropriately as follows:
If your time isn't worth much, I can heartily recommend you read my other dope-propelled ramblings on the subject.

Aside from that, the output from iPads may be lower than most other modern sources, but should still be plenty high enough to drive most amps. If not, by all means use a preamplifier.

Whoever wrote that article doesn't have a clue about impedance and impedance matching in audioland.

Elsewhere on his site, he links to that article quite appropriately as follows:

Aside from that, the output from iPads may be lower than most other modern sources, but should still be plenty high enough to drive most amps. If not, by all means use a preamplifier.

yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I use ipod sometimes and I have never had a problem. I am using the M400 from hdamp.com. I also drove ipod with a gainclone from Audiosector and no a problem either using just a "passive" pre-amp. When I saw this post from this guy, I was lost :(

I am astonished by how many posts on various forums start with the phrase "I read on the internet" and then go on to repeat some ridiculous assertion that is usually generated by someone marketing something. It doesn't appear that this author is actually selling anything; he is just disseminating bogus information because he can.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.