Quieting the Hurst LYD42 motor - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2012, 10:47 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Quieting the Hurst LYD42 motor

Hi everyone,

I'm in search of a motor for my DIY turntable and have landed on the Hurst AC synchronous motos as a potential option. I know the 3001-001 has pretty good track record as a TT motor, but what about the hurst LYD42?

LYD42 42mm Direct Drive Permanent Magnet AC Synchronous Motors

It's worth looking at due to its price ($15 instead of $57 for the 3001-001) and its higher torque. I read that someone was able to quiet a LYD42 similarly to the 3001-001 using George Merrill techniques.
-http://www.vinylnirvana.com/refining-the-hurst-motor/
-http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/176077-official-turntable-drive-system-motor-thread-3.html

I decided to buy both motors to do a full on investigation. Well, so far i'm on day 4 of the run in with 30W oil (with both motors) and the LYD42 is still VERY noisy compared to the 3001-001. I really want to figure out how to quiet this thing because I think it could be a very decent performing, low-cost TT motor if it wasn't for the noise.

Any suggestions?

Hide this!Advertise here!