Possible TT motor? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2012, 11:04 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Possible TT motor?

I was browsing youtube - as you do - and I came across this video which obviously was made for a TV short. Anyway, it shows the assembly of a wilson benesch TT - a very nice one at that. What I found interesting was that it clearly showed the motor they are using - see 4.08 into the video. This could be a decent motor for many DIY tables.....

The motor is from RS, cat#441-0423 250rpm synchronous motor.

thought I'd post it here, might be some good to someone....

How It's Made - turntables - YouTube
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:08 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

That's the motor formerly known as premotec, used in about half the UK sourced belt drive TTs in existence.

Last edited by Mark Kelly; 23rd April 2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ah, I knew and used premotec before - didn't realise this was the same thing.
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:20 PM   #4
Illusus is offline Illusus  Canada
diyAudio Member

It's a Premotec. AFAIK sold inEurope only. http://docs-europe.electrocomponents...6b802111e1.pdf

Mark is fast as lightning!

Last edited by Illusus; 23rd April 2012 at 11:21 PM. Reason: too slow
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:37 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

No, it was just coincidence - I had to get the lab requests for today's MLF wines into the computer before 0800, so I happened to cruise across here 5 minutes later and saw Fran's post.
Old 25th April 2012, 05:36 PM   #6
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It used to be possible to order Premotec motors from Allied Electronics, but that no longer appears to be the case - at least I was not able to find the page I used to special order one a couple of years ago.
Old 25th April 2012, 10:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I contacted Premotech a while ago with a view to purchasing a few motors for a group buy. i was told that minimum order was 500 units lol. Needless to say I didn't take it any further.
Old 29th April 2012, 02:14 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

FYI RS will export to the US (and presumably other countries) once you set up an account.
Old 29th April 2012, 06:20 PM   #9
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC700 View Post
FYI RS will export to the US (and presumably other countries) once you set up an account.
That didn't used to be the case, and might account for why it is no longer available from Allied. (Same parent company as RS [not Radio Shack])
They are excellent motors and extremely quiet, also rather low torque so they work best with low drag main bearings and moderately heavy platters.
Old 30th April 2012, 03:37 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Stepper Motor

2 Phase Bipolar Stepper Motor 12v

What annoys me about this is the old Airpax/ Philips style motor is not much better than a central heating motor for diverter valves . I regret that Rotalink in Somerset UK do not have a retail side because they look to have good motors . ( they might have agents ) .

I was told stepper motors are similar and might just work on AC . The motor above seems rather better than an Airpax . Maybe someone knows how it might be done ?

Stepper drive is not much different to AC drive because alas the AC synchronous has nasty steps also . I have played with the Airpax a lot and don't have much time for it . I would risk conventional stepper drive control circuits . I think Nottingham Analogue said similar to this in the past ? The motor above is mostly to show price . It looks rather good and probably can run at reduced power if required .

Another source in the UK might be Microdrives in Essex UK . Give them a link to the RS part no and ask for a 250 RPM/50Hz synchronous with phase capacitor .

I have probably caused more confusion than helped so apologies in advance . Will be interested to see if this leads anywhere as the price of the recommended motor is ridiculous . For this money I would want a Papst motor ( eBay ? ) .

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_13/5.html

Last edited by nigel pearson; 30th April 2012 at 03:45 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!