Strain Gauge jFET Pre-amp - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th December 2012, 06:25 AM   #11
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard500 View Post

pass band is 10 hz to 150 kHz +/- 0.2kB. You can really hear 0.2dB drop at 150kHz?
I would say no! I had thought the "pass band" meant the -3dB frequencies, not the 0.2dB frequencies.

BTW, the spec sheet shows a 0.4dB loss at the mid-band. Does this imply the loss is different at different frequencies? The reason I am interested is that I can save a bundle if I can use LL1527s instead of output coupling caps, to stop DC passing, in my phono stage. I have been using $350 a pair caps!

One point, though ... the spec sheet specifies some particular input & output impedances - source 800ohms , load 4Kohms. This seems to me to not be comparable to the real-world situation which a phono stage is in ... eg. a phono stage feeds a line-stage preamp ... which is likely to have a Zin of 10-50Kohms?

Regards,

Andy
Old 20th December 2012, 02:21 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyr View Post
I would say no! I had thought the "pass band" meant the -3dB frequencies, not the 0.2dB frequencies.

BTW, the spec sheet shows a 0.4dB loss at the mid-band. Does this imply the loss is different at different frequencies? The reason I am interested is that I can save a bundle if I can use LL1527s instead of output coupling caps, to stop DC passing, in my phono stage. I have been using $350 a pair caps!

One point, though ... the spec sheet specifies some particular input & output impedances - source 800ohms , load 4Kohms. This seems to me to not be comparable to the real-world situation which a phono stage is in ... eg. a phono stage feeds a line-stage preamp ... which is likely to have a Zin of 10-50Kohms?

Regards,

Andy
Andy, I have always assumed that the 0.4dB loass at mid band implies a constant loss across al freq due the DC resistance of the TX. IE if you had a perfect 1:1 tx then the gain is 1, but real world losses mean that this tx has a gain of -0.4dB at mid band. Then the pass band is referenced to this point, ie Lundahl quote 20hz to 150kHz +/- 0.2dB referenced to the mid band.

In answer to your question about replacing caps with the Lundahl LL1527 - I would not do this if your amp is single ended. If you look at my circuit you will see that it has a balanced output so there is NO DC passing through the tx. If you have a single end output, and connect the tx between output and ground, there will be a DC voltage across the tx and hence a DC current - not a great outcome.

If your line stage has a Zin of 50k, then you can provide the 4k load for the tx by putting a resistor across the output of the tx - that's the way I do it. 4K resistor would be OK, this will give a total resistance of 3.7k. As long as the output of your phono stage is 1k or less then you will have no problems (as longs as its balanced!!)
Old 20th December 2012, 06:59 AM   #13
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard500 View Post

In answer to your question about replacing caps with the Lundahl LL1527 - I would not do this if your amp is single ended. If you look at my circuit you will see that it has a balanced output so there is NO DC passing through the tx.
Thanks for this additional info, mate. Yes, my phono stage is single-ended, not balanced. I obviously had it wrong - I thought it was possible to use a series coupling transformer as an alternative to a series coupling cap, to stop DC offset passing though.

Oh well, I'll have to go back to using expensive 1uF caps!

Regards,

Andy

Hide this!Advertise here!