A new DIY turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This started as a 50's McCurdy broadcast table. The bearing, platter, motor and speed selector and the original rubber suspension posts were kept. Everything else except the tonearms was made from scratch.

The sub-plinth and motor plate are 1/2" (13mm) aluminum, the acrylic main plinth is 1" (26mm). The table legs are laminated from Douglas fir and Yellow cedar. The trim wood around the plinth is clear grain Douglas fir.

You can see the blue LEDs inset into the trim frame, illuminating the main plinth. It looks really cool in a darkened room.

This masterpiece took Joe (a retired aircraft mechanic) about 3 years to build. Joe is not a big fan of computers, so I asked his permission to present it here on his behalf.
I just did not want you guys to miss it! :)

Attachments

• jt-1.jpg
    jt-1.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 622
  • jt-2.jpg
    jt-2.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 598
  • jt-3.jpg
    jt-3.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 589
  • jt-4.jpg
    jt-4.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 577
Last edited:
Sorry for being gone so long :(

Wonderful !!!. But in the first photo, there is a drum under the table, and it intrigue me. What is it?

Woodturner-fran is absolutely correct - the 'drum' is an air tank (salvaged from some bit of hospital gear) for the air bearing tonearm.

Boon said:
What cartridges does he use?
What is his opinion of the relative merits of his LT tonearm vs. the pivoted one?

The air-bearing carries a Talisman EP10 (vintage MC, very light - 4Gm) and the Premium carries a DL-103.
Both arms sound very good, but the air-bearing is more fluid and musical, with a much cleaner top end.

Joe will be glad everyone likes it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.