Bias test fail - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2012, 03:26 AM   #1
rman is offline rman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Bias test fail

Hi

With the Hi-Fi News test record, I can get through the bias tests at 12 and 14 decibels, but can't get rid of a buzz in the right channel at 16 decibels.
The turntable is a Sony PS-LX4. Cartridge is ADC QLM 36 mark 3 with new stylus. Is this a reasonable result from this level of equipment? Could the cartridge be be worn out? It sounds ok to me but I have never listened to an expensive, turntable. Would a low end Rega Turntable pass this test?

Cheers.
Rolf.
Old 16th April 2012, 08:08 AM   #2
h_a is offline h_a  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi Rolf,

if the buzzing occurs only for one channel it appears that antiskating is not set optimally.

Well, if the stylus is new than this is what it is able to track; the turntable is not going to change much as this is mostly a cartridge property.

Before judging sound quality, be sure to use proper load capacitance (the one recommeded for your cartridge by its manufacturer) in your phono amp.

Hannes
Old 19th April 2012, 04:56 AM   #3
rman is offline rman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi h_a.

Thanks for the reply. I guess the antiskate just is not strong enough for some reason. The only load capacitor I have now is the miller capacitance of the 6922 input tube and the turntables output leads.

Cheers.
Rolf.

Hide this!Advertise here!