Bias test fail

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

With the Hi-Fi News test record, I can get through the bias tests at 12 and 14 decibels, but can't get rid of a buzz in the right channel at 16 decibels.
The turntable is a Sony PS-LX4. Cartridge is ADC QLM 36 mark 3 with new stylus. Is this a reasonable result from this level of equipment? Could the cartridge be be worn out? It sounds ok to me but I have never listened to an expensive, turntable. Would a low end Rega Turntable pass this test?

Cheers.
Rolf.

Hi Rolf,

if the buzzing occurs only for one channel it appears that antiskating is not set optimally.

Well, if the stylus is new than this is what it is able to track; the turntable is not going to change much as this is mostly a cartridge property.

Before judging sound quality, be sure to use proper load capacitance (the one recommeded for your cartridge by its manufacturer) in your phono amp.

Hannes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.