Pioneer PL-560 rubber foot PEB-086

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi members, does anyone have one of these rubber foot. I need dimensions, have found a place that might have these style feet. Just need dimensions from a PEB-086 rubber foot, so I might be able to complete my rebuild of my Pioneer PL-560 TT feet. These rubber feet also used in other Pioneer TT and other TT.

I have been working on this project off and on for a few months and I have one distorted, cracking complete PEB-086 which I have attempted to measure, sorta successfully. I will try to upload a scan of a diagram I have made of what I "think" the dimensions are in the original foot.

I have been in touch with some fabricators on 100kGarages.com about getting an estimate for a mold but I need to determine the composition of the rubber. it's some kind of butyl-something from what I have found. If you have any suggestions, let me know. ProjScan#1.jpg

ProjScan#2.jpg

ProjScan#3.jpg

DSCN0405.jpg

PEB-086

I have recently received 4 samples of the replacement part from the fabricator. I immediately went about assembling the feet and found that the part seems to fit perfectly. Evidently my measurements of the 25 year old part were fairly accurate.

I am having some tearing problems on assembly and the fabricator has made some suggestions and will send me another set of 4 on completion. We both agree that the mold seems dimensionally correct, so that is a relief. The softness seems about right, but not having 4 makes it impossible to test with any degree of accuracy.

I will post again when I have received and tested the new samples.

Attachments

• DSCN0431.jpg
    DSCN0431.jpg
    819.8 KB · Views: 241
TTBL insulator (PEB-086) replacement

I got the new batch of insulators and it included one that was clear, untinted urethane, which I think is the way I will go. I assembled a couple of feet and compared them to the original and they were like rocks. The original would deflect on a ounce of pressure or less and the new ones took a pound or more to deflect. FAIL! I was mystified. The material felt the same, was just as resilient as the original and appeared to be just as elastic. I couldn't blame the fabber, it was identical. However, on doing the deflection test, the upper corner of the insulator seemed to deflect much more easily then the body. Checking with these numb old mechanic's fingers didn't reveal much so I decided to slice the one original longitudinally, sacrificing it to the gods of manufacturing accuracy. At this point I was willing due to my confidence in the fabber. BINGO! Found a groove around the inside wall that thinned it out to a consistent 2 mm. Talked to the fabber about this and it complicates things a bit. He will make some modifications and send me some samples, but it looks to be a tad more expensive on a per unit basis. I had originally looked at a $15 per unit price but now it may be $25. ACK! That's $100 a turntable! I dunno... that's getting up there. I see these PL-518/540/560s selling on Ebay for $200 to $300 with complete feet and $40 without feet, so it may be worthwhile. I will soldier on, even if it's just to get some replacements for my two 518s. (I don't think there has ever been a better insulator for a turntable: when my kids lived at home and came barging in the house while I was listening to something, no skips, scratches or wobbles.) Onward!

The results for fabricating an exact duplicate of the Pioneer PEB-086 are going to be prohibitively expensive. The necessity of thinning out the top section of the insulator to 2 mm internal dimension requires well into 4 figures for a three piece gang mold capable of producing a run of 500 in a reasonable period of time. That amount plus production costs and materials would put my cost well over $20 ea. Yikes! Never-the-less, the fabber can make 50 pieces with full thickness walls, that I can sell for under $20 apiece, and I can probably break even.
In actuality, the new insulator can support the turntable without the spring and does a reasonable job and sounds pretty tame even when I put it in front of my QLS 3s. In fact that thin area is where originals all failed, cracked and broke. To make a long story short I have listed them on eBay under the model numbers and PEB-086. I figured I would run it up the flagpole and see if anybody salutes.

Turntable recall.

Jon, I haven't been on the forum for some time. I sure would like to know or see the data on that recall. The link is no longer valid. If you could relist the info on the recall, I would be most appreciative. I would love to know the chemistry and solvent that caused the recall. Fascinating!
Just so you know, I just finished selling my fourth production run on eBay of the PEB-086 replacement. I have been contacted about a replacement for the PEB-102 which fits several other Pioneer turntables such as PLL1000, PLL1000A, PL-455 and PL-500. I've got feelers out for a sample but haven't seen any tables with original feet which is a little ominous.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.