Goldring Lenco or Some other Classic TT. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2012, 08:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Goldring Lenco or Some other Classic TT.

Hello

I have been into seperate hifi since 1989 and only recently got into setting up my current vinyl system of Goldring GR1.2 TT, Creek 4040 and Celestio Ditton 15XR and I am happy playing around with this system.

I am thinking about buying a Goldring Lenco off ebay.

What I would like to know is that, will the Lenco sound any better than my current GR1.2 TT?

I listen to mainly Bollywood vinyl (1950's, 60's &70's) which are lots of violins, high pitch women vocals, percussion and less bass.

If the sound would be much better then I would consider buying the Lenco or any other classic TT you guys may recommend.

Thanks
Old 24th March 2012, 09:19 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The cartridge and arm combination and its setup will do more to influence the sound , barring a turntable that is faulty .

The GL75 arm is nothing to write home about .
Old 24th March 2012, 05:27 PM   #3
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default completely wrong!

epicyclic is completely wrong. I've been a stalwart "vinyl-phile" for the past 25+ years, sold audio for a living, written reviews and modified turntables in the past (and present too). Even different belt drives have different sounds.

The idlers have a substantially different sound than belt drives in general. There can be pluses and minuses to each type assuming both are well implemented designs. Consider the Goldring GR1.2 as a "cut down" Rega, it is very good considering it a budget table. However the arm is worth what you probably paid for the complete turntable and can be used with the idler drive Goldring/Lenco turntables to good effect. If at all handy, it can be made to outperform arms costing 5-6 times as much.

Even mildly modified Lenco idler drives have the potential to slay most turntables up to about the 1000 (USD$2000) mark pretty easily. There are a couple of things that have to be done with any old Lenco before you start using it. The most significant is to remove the platter and thoroughly clean the bearing well and the platter spindle (the portion that goes into the bearing well). Then use an appropriate oil to refill the bearing well. Many use Mobile 1 SAE-30 weight. The other is to clean the idler shaft (the tapered brass horizontal shaft), the idler wheel, and the area on the plater that is driven by the idler wheel. A new plinth is a must. Most anyone with a jig saw and a drill can make a suitable plinth with just a little care taken. If not comfortable doing carpentary (or you have no tools), a friend, family member, or neighbour can be pressed into service .

There are sites dedicated to Lenco idler drives, but the most prolific is Lenco Heaven. There are huge amounts of information there. One name to follow is Jean Nantais.
Old 24th March 2012, 07:36 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Nanook

Could you comment about the GL75 ARM originally fitted to the GL75 which is what my comment was about . I have no truck with the turntable .
Old 24th March 2012, 08:17 PM   #5
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
The GL75 turntable is potentially as good as anyone could ever wish for....even in standard, cleaned up and re-plinthed form (as per Nanook above) it is far far better than most turntables out there. BUT the GL75 arm is really pretty awful! Almost any other arm is likely to be better. [It is also probable that the rear stub has started to droop below the level of the main arm beam. If so it is not worth repairing.]

I really would use Nanook's link to Lenco Heaven and use the information there BEFORE you start on a new plinth and also reda about arm recommendations on the same site. You may also wish to google 'Hi-endaudio.com-Lenco' and see what Arthur Salvatori has to say about these TTs (in modified form)!!!

If I were looking for a top level TT I would buy one to modify and probably have to spend say 500 to get a new bearing, motor re-build and solid slate plinth...but I already have two of them. They are superb.

Your existing TT is a cheaper consumer item of no great merit. Put that on ebay just as soon as you find a GL75.

Last edited by brianco; 24th March 2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 25th March 2012, 08:05 PM   #6
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default tonearm...

epicyclic:

Quote:
Could you comment about the GL75 ARM originally fitted to the GL75 which is what my comment was about . I have no truck with the turntable .
Yesterday 11:27 AM
So sorry. I thought I already had, but my comp has a few "unique" features that allows it to do whatever it wants, even when instructed to do otherwise.

Go have a look over at the linked page at Lenco Heaven and do a search for the GL75 tonearm. I know some have got the thing sounding acceptable, but I would strongly suggest a more modern arm (or at least a superior old arm) for any doing a Lenco project. The OEM arm on the Goldring GR1.2 is a Rega. It can be improved to near "super arm" levels of performance.

If I offended you, please accept my apology. The way your comment read (for me at least) was questioning both the arm and the table.
Old 25th March 2012, 08:19 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I listen to mainly Bollywood vinyl (1950's, 60's &70's) which are lots of violins, high pitch women vocals, percussion and less bass.

Its gonna be hard to get anything that makes that genre sound "good" in audiophile terms.

I can second the Lenco. I hav eone is constant use and its up there with the best. However, you need to scrap the arm and fit something better - go make a linear tracker, or maybe a schroder clone. You will need to strip and regrease the motor, relube the main bearing, and fit the thing to a heavy damped plinth. Slate seems to in vogue at the moment, but also look at the "PTP" Peters top plate when over at lencoheaven. I have a second L75 here and it will someday get a PTP.

Fran
Old 25th March 2012, 08:30 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Nanook

I will in future try and leave less room for misunderstanding......thankyou
Old 25th March 2012, 09:14 PM   #9
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishkukadia View Post
Hello

I have been into seperate hifi since 1989 and only recently got into setting up my current vinyl system of Goldring GR1.2 TT, Creek 4040 and Celestio Ditton 15XR and I am happy playing around with this system.

I am thinking about buying a Goldring Lenco off ebay.

What I would like to know is that, will the Lenco sound any better than my current GR1.2 TT?

If the sound would be much better then I would consider buying the Lenco or any other classic TT you guys may recommend.

Thanks
Hi,

Simply put, no it won't for your sort of music taste in totally stock form.

In fact I'd say you have pretty much the ideal sort of simple turntable
for the music genre and period you describe, audiophile stuff it isn't.

Your cartridge, the Elektra, is also very well suited to the job at hand.

If you don't have a solid floor, wall mounting the GR1.2 on a wall
shelf to a solid brick wall will make a big difference. Doesn't have
to be complicated, a piece of ply and a couple of brackets.

rgds, sreten.
Old 25th March 2012, 09:39 PM   #10
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicyclic View Post
Nanook

I will in future try and leave less room for misunderstanding......thankyou
Well that will take a lot of the fun out of things!!!!

Hide this!Advertise here!