Goldring Lenco or Some other Classic TT.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
It worked now c2cthomas.

Now, I haven't considered this path. Shurely a softer material will draw it's signature in some way to maybe all variables to the sound of the Lencos we love... Better or worse?

Brgds

And thus the reason for my query. I'm working up a DIY design for a TT and "borrowing" ;) a lot of the Lenco tech and it isn't exactly easy getting a main bearing. There are some scrappers around to be had - but I'm thinking along the lines of tooling one up that other like minded DIYers can duplicate down the road.

Ta!!!!:D:D:D

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Actually c2cthomas there is newly created main bearings but they arn't in my size of money involved. And platters too.

But at some point it is not an Lenco to me anymore. Now that might or might not be an issue... To me it is.

Brgds

This is why I refer to it as FrankenTT. If I swipe all of the worst ideas and put them into one TT then from the parts that are left I will be able to clone up a pretty good one..... I will now go and check just which medications I am forgetting to take....:D:D:D:D

Then I will ship the TT with all of the bad design ideas to ZM in trade for that frugly EMT he has laying around....

There are sites dedicated to Lenco idler drives, but the most prolific is Lenco Heaven. There are huge amounts of information there.

+ 1 to that.

I recall back in the day as speakers got better (or I got better speakers:D), we experienced more rumble from cheap plinth idler drives and moved on from them. Heavy plinths and attention to details make it a non-issue. The Lenco came about due to audiophiles driving up the price of desireable heavy plinth Garrard and Thorens idler tables. The unfortunate thing now is $50 heavy platter Lenco's are hard to come by.

Call it what you want but my modded table is still a Lenco. Aside from clean and lube and cut top plate, it sports a larger Mirko bearing with layered plinth and a used MG-1 linear tracking air bearing arm, clear coat automotive finish. This table replaced $8,200 in retail value current belt drive turntable technology. (I buy used/dealer demo so my out of pocket was much less than the retail figure). I have ~ $1600 in this Lenco. YMMV.

finished_1.jpg

Don't write off the Lenco tonearm just yet. I've been playing around with Lencos for a fair old while and recently I picked up a mint 75. This deck really is too good to butcher so I've decided to see if I can do something with it. The arm is the weak link, the rest can be sorted so I've stripped it down and rewired it and fitted new Desmo V blocks. These are hard blocks and very nicely made so I'm expecting some good results. Keith the guy who supplied the V blocks has shown me how to make the droopy end stub solid and I'll be finishing that off tomorrow. A new external arm cable will be added as well as a better cartridge mounting platform. I'm confident I can get a Denon DL103 to work well in this arm. I'll post a few pics of my progress tomorrow.
I should add that the deck is working fine at the moment fitted with a modified Grace arm and Kontrapunkt B cartridge but it would be nice if it could be made to sound something like with its own arm.

Attachments

• P1020037.jpg
    P1020037.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 106
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.