Revox G36 help needed!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody, this is my first post here!

For one weeek ago I came across a G36 in pristine cosmetical condition for very reasonable price. The seller though has pointed out that the machine is not working. He was speaking about some rectifier bridges and filter capasitors that need to be changed.

When I came home and opened the machine I saw the guy has unsoldered a bunch of electrical wires from terminal boards. The wires are just hanging in the air! And I have no clue where they should go. However, the machine looks complete, and this is a better sign.

It is possible that some components need replacement, but I think, the first step would be to solder the wires back where they belong, before starting troubleshooting.

OK, now my question.

Please have a look at the picture attached to this message.

You'll see a aluminium electrolytic capacitor approximately in the middle of the photo, on the right panel. There is a bunch of wires taped to it. The wires are all coloured, such as red, orange, grey, white, black, etc. This is the bunch which is fully unslodered. Part of them are coming to the terminal board on the upper-left side, part of them are coming to the mutli-section capacitor. Another two loose wires are red and yellow presumably comming to the terminal board just below the capasitor.

The service manual doesn't have colour codes of the cables, unfortunately, which makes it all a little difficult to manage. The resolution of this picture (found on Google) do not allow for a reliable wiring.

Does anyone with a working G36 back home by any chance have close-up pictures of good quality of this part of the recorder?

I understand, this would be too much to ask to disassembe your G36's just to take some pictures, but maybe next time you give the recorder a service may I kindly ask you to take some pictures?

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards,

alejon

Attachments

• 1179474974_AA15.jpg
    1179474974_AA15.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
I have an open G36 at the moment, (top and bottom chassis separated) and some hand-drawn diagrams of the wiring. I can scan the diagrams in the next few days. If I forget by the weekend, send me a private message as a reminder.

There are three different versions of the G36 motor wiring, you need to check the serial number on yours before matching it up with a circuit diagram. (I have the 3 diagrams too).

I think you really should check the rectifier and the 3 capacitors on the bottom chassis before proceeding. IF they are faulty, they are cheap to replace, but powering it up with a faulty component might burn out the transformer - and that is NOT a cheap part to replace, nor easy to find.

Last edited:
Stellavox,
Steerpike,

Many thanks for your replies! I'll check the serial number tomorrow. The machine is from 1966, according to the quality control label.

Yes, I will certainly check the rectifiers and the caps before powering it up, that's for sure. Thanks for the advice!

Best regards,

alejon

Hello Steerpike,

Great thanks for the images!

The problem is the images are so small I can't see anything. Zooming them does not make things look better.

Could you post in larger size or maybe mail me on my private e-mail (please see PM)?

Many thanks!

alejon

OK,
My G36 looks like this, see pics below. The description in the first post of this thread will give necessary explanations.
Best regards,
alejon

Attachments

• ds_DSC00075.jpg
    ds_DSC00075.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 117
  • ds_DSC00076.jpg
    ds_DSC00076.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 102
  • ds_DSC00077.jpg
    ds_DSC00077.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 107
  • ds_DSC00080.jpg
    ds_DSC00080.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 100
  • ds_DSC00081.jpg
    ds_DSC00081.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 92
Some useful links about the G36 and user manual:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/siliconf/JukkaTolonen/ga/revox/revox.html

The Revox 36's series

Das STUDER und ReVox Infoportal

http://www.johnmcculloch.net/tapedecks.aspx (original service manual)

Good luck with your project. If the selene bridge rectifiers are gone due to shorted electrolytic capacitors in the power supply, you can replace them with silicon ones, but put in a series resistor to reduce the current spikes in the transformer.

If you are missing some parts, I have a few boxes with NOS G36 spare parts in Hägersten-Stockholm-Sweden.

Johan

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.