Thorens TD 150 MKii

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

I'm new here and dipping my toes i the DIY pool. I have a Thorens TD150 Mkii that was in great working order. The other day I was spinning a record and the drive shaft off the motor started squealling. First question is what would be the most common source of this sound? Bearing? Would it be best to look for one of these motors? So now that I'm into repairing I'm thinking of doing a total overhaul.

I'm thinking of replacing the tone arm with a Jelco SA-370 H or SME 3009 s2 Imp thoughts on this? The Jelco because a friend of my fathers offered me one for a labour trade. The SME because that seems to be the go to arm for these TT's

New arm board Maple I'm thinking as I have some really nice 1 inch maple flooring that I could cut and plane to thorens dimensions.

I'm also thinking of a new plinth once again I'm thining Maple as I have some nice material hanging around.

I'll top it off with a new Cart but that will take some more investigating.

My Amp is a Restored Mapleshade Scott 222C and I have Totem model 1 speakers.

Hi there.

I've worked on a good number of these Thorens tables. A motor squeal may be remedied by lubrication as long as the bearings aren't worn out. Machine oil does the trick here (use the same thing you're using in the platter bearing).

If you'd like me to work on this for you please send a private message and we can make arrangements.

Cheers.

The basic rule for anti-skate is that the dials are graduated based on vertical tracking force. If you have 2g of force you set the anti-skate to 2 for example.

There are of course variations on the theme!

A recommended place to search would be on Vinyl Engine:

Vinyl Engine | The Home of the Turntable

Here you can find the data pertaining to most of the Thorens tables and arms (and many aftermarket arms). There should be instructions available which refer to your specific setup.

Cheers.

150mk2 has a wee weight on a bit of fishing line as anti skate.
No dials .. fairly obvious, if one has actually ever seen a TD150.
Set the drop wire into the first groove (closest to where the arm mounts) then Never Again give a second thought.
Much maligned oem Arm is actually quite a good one.
Despite Internet 'wisdom' ;)
Assuming it's healthy and correctly set up of course.
A Stylus Change will give a significantly larger sound upgrade than an alternate Tone arm contraption IMO
Your choice of course.

I ended up using an Ariston arm on mine. Works well. The original arm was fine, but i wanted an arm with gimbal bearings. Like Bare said, choice is yours.

Setting anti skate is simple though using the method i described. You can see right away if you have it right or not.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.