RIAA op amp swap - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2012, 03:16 AM   #1
batty is offline batty  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default RIAA op amp swap

My integrated amp uses 4x NE5534N in the RIAA cct. has anyone tried using discrete op amps such as the Burson or Audio GD Earth/Moon/Sun as a direct drop in replacement?
Old 9th March 2012, 01:41 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'll take that as a 'no' then.
Old 9th March 2012, 03:56 AM   #3
grufti is offline grufti  United States
wombat
diyAudio Member

Some possible reasons for the silence: the NE5534N is not that awful to begin with and/or other IC's like the AD745 may well be a better choice than the discrete opamps. ymmv and others will disagree.
Old 9th March 2012, 11:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks Grufti. The integrated in question is a Copland CSA14 so not shabby to start with.
Old 9th March 2012, 11:08 PM   #5
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

I would not change them. The 5534 is still one of the best devices around for this type of application. Better to spend your efforts on building something.
Old 14th April 2012, 08:25 PM   #6
Goetz is offline Goetz  Germany
diyAudio Member

Dear Batty,

I changed in my deeply modified Luxman L-210 (yes, you can move this small amp to high-end) the IC opamp to Burson's dual Opamp as well.
Now this part of the Luxman is true high end as well !
However you have to take care that the Burson is embedded in the right electronic environment. This seems to be also in this Forum not always being realized and therefore Burson's potentials is not really exploited.
Acc. manufacturers information the Burson Single and Dual Opamp shall be operated between 12-25 V and min 19mA, but Burson informed me ideal supply is at 50 mA.
In my Luxman I changed therefore in the phonostage (all caps already changed to top-end quality elko, films and micas) the zenerdiodes for stabilized voltage supply from 18V to 22V (higher voltage is normally better for sound ) and more important changing the resistor from 2,7K to 330ohm to increase current supply to ~ 50 mA. I also checked with ~ 30mA but with ~ 50mA 3-D image further improved. Generally the sound is fantastic, smooth "tube-like" trebles, new details from vinyl, you do not want to finish listening...breathtaking. A real IC killer but you must adjust the electronics around to take full advantage. ~ 65,- for one dual opamp is then the cheapest highend investment ever !
(I want to underline that f.e. such a Luxman session powering a Precide Kithara LS I have for A/B comparison f.e. my Airtight STM-1, STudio Monitors and other gadgets...)
Cheers
Goetz

Last edited by Goetz; 14th April 2012 at 08:33 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!