Magnum MD90t tuner unbalanced to balanced upgrade - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2012, 10:40 AM   #1
Thago is offline Thago  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default Magnum MD90t tuner unbalanced to balanced upgrade

Magnum Dynalab offers a upgrade to balanced outputs for this tuner. I'm considering to do this upgrade, mainly because the output voltage with unbalanced outputs is 1V, compared to the 2.2V for the balanced outputs (info from the user manual). The 1V output is too low to obtain sufficient sound levels with a Pass B1 buffer preamp (under construction) and Aleph 2 DIY monoblocs (playing in my system for several years now). Since I have several sources with balanced outputs, I'm considering to build a balanced B1 (more info elsewhere on this forum).

Now I'm wondering to DIY a balanced output for this tuner. How is this best accomplished, keeping in mind that the goal is to obtain a higher voltage at the output? Can transformers do this? Or are there good opamp design available (I could use discrete opamps such as Burson or NewClassD)? What about sound quality: transformers compared to good quality opamp's?
Old 1st September 2012, 08:20 PM   #2
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

take the lid off your tuner and look at the pcb - if it's like my FT101A there are all the spots left open on the pcb for balanced outputs. If you can find out a bit more information maybe you can populate the missing parts and get the balanced outputs you need.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Hide this!Advertise here!