phono cable capacitance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a set of cables on my SL1800MK2 which are not original and I have no clue what their capactiance is.

Where I work we have a pair of "smart tweezers" which claim the following :

Capacitance:

Range:
0.5 pF to 4999 μF

Precision:
up to 0.2% (see datasheet for deatils)

LCR Meter - Smart Tweezers - Digital RCL, Impedance and ESR Meter, SMD Component Tester

If I pull my headshell off and place these tweezers across each RCA connector center to ground, it should show me the capactiance of the entire circuit, correct?

I have no idea how accurate this will end up being.

Thanks,

Chris J

hello,
just make sure there is no DC path to ground either through the cartridge coils or via a resistance network. So, whether you measure the external interconnecting phono-to-preamp cables or the internal tonearm cables the rule applies. For the internal arm cabling use an ohm-meter (with the cartridge removed!) and make sure there is an open circuit from signal conductor to ground. Then use the capacitance meter. good luck!

Sigh,

So I measure 320pf with this coax and the tonearm combined. I'm guessing the tonearm is probably what, 20pf alone? That would mean this coax has 100pf per foot.

What I'm not sure of is my V-15 III calls for 47K load and 400-500pf capactiance. My APT Holman preamp allows me to adjust capactiance, so I have it set to 100pf. Surprising to me, this is where I had it set by ear.

Being this gives me the necessary capactiance should I bother swapping the cables out?

I'm considering either stock Technics cables for an SL-1200 (same table really) or just buying some RG59 and making my own cables.

Opinions?

hi,
the cable in the tonearm is much thinner, meaning there is a thinner dielectric thickness between the signal and ground conductors. I hate to think of the case where there is a twin (stereo) signal sharing a common shield which would only make things worse. Having said that, the capacitance of the cable in the tonearm is usually higher per foot than with thick (audio/video 50/75 Ohm) cable. So, i wouldn't be so sure about the 20pf for tonearm and 100pf/foot for interconnect. Other than that your setting sounds reasonable.

Well for the fact that I may want to switch cartridges in the future I think I'm going to swap in some good coax when I get some time.

A friend is giving me some Belden 1505A which is RG59 and 16.3pf per foot. Only drawback is its a solid center conductor so not too sure on how flexable its going to be.

I just hope I can fit the RG59 into the turntable, not sure how big the opening for the cable is and I refuse to do any physical mods to the table.

Any opinions on this approach?

You put your finger right on the problem- the mechanics. You don't want your turntable's isolation compromised by a stiff cable. There are workarounds (e.g., using thin wired inside the TT to RCA females mounted on the base, then the stiff cables connected there), but you have to be careful that the medicine isn't worse than the disease.

You put your finger right on the problem- the mechanics. You don't want your turntable's isolation compromised by a stiff cable. There are workarounds (e.g., using thin wired inside the TT to RCA females mounted on the base, then the stiff cables connected there), but you have to be careful that the medicine isn't worse than the disease.

I had considered this, the concern I have is problems an extra set of RCA connectors may cause.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.