Thorens TD124 mk1 'attic find'

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello folks. Newbie here.
A bit of a background story first.
So I helped my girlfriends parents clear out her recently departed grandfathers house the other week and I found a very heavy lump of a turntable, caked in dirt amongst a load of other vintage audio equipment. I quite liked the look of it as it appeared very well made (well engineered stuff really catches my eye). I confess I know very little about high end audio equipment but I was the only one who showed any interest in it so they said I could have it.

So I find myself in possession of what I now know is a Thorens TD124 mk1 serial number 44884 with a Thorens BTD12s tone arm.

I'd like to stress that I have next to no knowledge of turntables and their workings and although google has helped me I don't want to do anything to it that could potentially spoil the function and the value of it. I have already cocked up by unscrewing the platter from the spindle before doing some reading.

Have a look and see what you think. Not in the photos is the iron platter and the aluminium top platter which works perfectly with the clutch.

2012-02-15-009.jpg

2012-02-14-008.jpg

2012-02-14-007.jpg

Ok the platter thing shouldn't be too bad cause I found a DTI in the machine shop at work which I can use.

Amongst other items that were in bits were a Tandberg series 15 reel to reel in pristine condition, a Tandberg cassette tape deck and receiver and a Rotel amp. Apparently all where used by my girlfriends grandfather to run a radio station in the far east somewhere whilst stationed over there in the RAF.

I've the previous thread which is full of good information.

My main concerns at the moment are the amount of surface rust on components, especially the tone arm, and in the 16 rpm position, the idler wheel doesn't contact the stepped pulley.

I'll be stripping it down and cleaning it up during my lunch hour over the next few weeks.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Keep us posted, most of us here are DIY'ers, and have had the Td124 down to the nuts and bolts...Right Kevin? :)

:up: And I'm on my second one which came to me as a basket case missing most of its original parts. I've found most of the parts on eBay and it is now running as a TD-121, some work in the machine shop to make the remaining pieces I have not been able to locate and it will be back to slightly oddball TD-124.

Well worth the trouble IMHO, I'm pretty happy with mine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.