Can you recomend a good first phono pre-amp? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2012, 03:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Can you recomend a good first phono pre-amp?

Hi guys.

I originally posted this in the analogue line level forum by mistake:

I am currently re-furbishing a Dual CS 505-2 turntable that I bought from a friend. I have had to fix an internal microswitch, re-wire the rca wires, dismantle and re-grease everything and generally have a lot of fun making it work.

I'm now looking forward to listening to some of the Radiohead and Pixies albums my other half bought me for Christmas to start my collection!

I am currently building a MiniDSP 2x8 based pre-amp and crossover and would like to include a MM phono pre-amp stage in the same case.

Can you recommend me a nice quality kit (or pre-built circuit) and power supply? I have used a cheap Maplin SP-24a with reasonable results but hope that I can do better with a kit and get the enjoyment of building it myself.

Many thanks in advance.

Jai Stanley
Old 14th February 2012, 03:52 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The VSPS is an excellent MM phono stage DIY project. I'm not sure if complete kits are available. It is heavily discussed here at diyaudio. See this product page: RJM Audio - Construction Guide

If you are putting the RIAA preamp in the same box as your MiniDSP, you need to be mindful of the power supply, grounding, etc.
Old 16th February 2012, 08:16 PM   #3
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Hagerman Technology LLC: Bugle Opamp Moving Magnet Budget Phonostage DIY Kit
Old 28th February 2012, 05:30 PM   #4
atupi is offline atupi  Romania
diyAudio Member

I have a strong recomendation for the Phono RIAA application note from LME49720 datasheet. You can use much cheaper opamps instead of LME49720 like OPA2134. I tested it and sounds very good to me and its simple and cheap. I'm using with two 9v batteries.
Old 28th February 2012, 06:00 PM   #5
simonov is offline simonov  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Almost any opamp based RIAA preamplifier is virtually the same. You get either a two stage setup with a passive correction or one stage with correction in the FB loop. Sometimes you might find a combination of those two things. And that's it. The quality of the preamp is in this case mostly determined by the quality (and complexity, and the cost) of the power supply. Simple. I often find it rather amusing when people try to make a simple opamp based design look like a rocket science and charge the poor customer with a 4 figures price tag. When you look inside you find two 7815; 7915 regulators feeding the whole thing
Old 29th February 2012, 12:00 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Salas Simplistiic NJFET RIAA

Simplistic NJFET RIAA
Old 29th February 2012, 12:08 PM   #7
atupi is offline atupi  Romania
diyAudio Member

Merlin i'm about to finish the Salas simplistic preamp but i would not recommend for a first diy project. Is not so simple and picky about components used. Also not cheap.

Hide this!Advertise here!