diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Analogue Source (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/)
-   -   Technics 1200 1210 replinth? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/206459-technics-1200-1210-replinth.html)

rocker65 11th February 2012 08:33 AM

Technics 1200 1210 replinth?

Hi All,
Since there are numerous cases of TT's being mod'd via huge massive plinths to good effect I wonder if there are any
cases of this being done to the Technics. I know of course that the original has a rubber compound skin on the underside
but I harbour doubts about it's effectivness as it only contacts the metalwork here and there and would probably be more effective if it could be bonded on all over its contact surface. This can not be done in practice of course.
(The anti ringing coating on the platter under side is also only partially effective at best)
Has anyone heard of the Technics being replinthed?
Rgds.

dimkasta 15th February 2012 08:08 PM

I haven t heard anything similar yet, but a friend is currently working on something these days. I ll post if something nice comes up :)

rocker65 12th March 2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimkasta (Post 2908184)
I haven t heard anything similar yet, but a friend is currently working on something these days. I ll post if something nice comes up :)

Hi dimkasta,Any further news?Rgds.

dimkasta 12th March 2012 03:50 PM

We are curretly working on a plynth for Linn Sondek LP12 made out of ebony (with excellent results so far).

We were thinking to make something similar for the SL1200, but we are wondering if the high cost of ebony is justified for what the technics TT is...
Perhaps something out of a more mainstream wood might be more suitable and appropriate.
Support for multiple tonearms is also something we are considering. I will post more once we have progressed with the design. Perhaps I will open a separate thread as well to report the progress and maybe request for input

REXTON 13th March 2012 08:47 PM

The design of the 1210 is what makes it sonically so special. You could try bonding the chasis and subchasis together to limit vibration bewteen them. I think the sonic nature of the 1210 would be spoiled if it was re-plinthed!

audiostar 13th March 2012 08:57 PM

Applied Fidelity does custom plinth for the Technics.

dimkasta 14th March 2012 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REXTON (Post 2944749)
The design of the 1210 is what makes it sonically so special. You could try bonding the chasis and subchasis together to limit vibration bewteen them. I think the sonic nature of the 1210 would be spoiled if it was re-plinthed!

Well... "spoiling" as you use it includes a bit of fetish for the 1200 :)

It will certainly sound different. As it sounds different rewired, with different tonearms etc...

Better or worse, is often in the ear of the... beholder

Nanook 14th March 2012 06:08 PM

I've done a search for Applied Fidelity.

Do they have a website? I'm curious, that's all.

I did stumble upon the Audio Tecnica DD turntable that looks a lot like a 1200...and quite inexpensive. Wonder what the construction is like?

Kaneda style and Baltic Birch plinths seem to be (apparently) good.