kits from scratch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there a company out there that provides kits from basic to complete? I have access to a wood shop and guidence if needed, and I would like to build something that is not vintage/over$ or new/over$ However I am willing to pay for quality and not be led down a road of failures...Pipe dream is it?
Kingfisher

So what kind of kits?

Not a pipe dream.

Amps, phono stages, preamps? Turntables, etc.? Tuners?

Almost everything is out there, just a matter of what your expectations are and what your budget is. For example Audio Note (UK) kits are very good, but quite expensive. I've seen tuner kits some place? Turntable "kits" are a little rare. You can always buy parts from Teres and build your own.

Just start doing some searches here in Vendor's Bizarre, or in the Commercial Sector forums. Folks there support this forum.

Last edited:
TT Kits

Thanks tabarddn
Though great stuff at this site, I hope others who view it realize the prices are in Pounds Sterling and not US. or Canadian $ Still a bargain at 399. but add 53% for exchange and that is $626.00 + S&H Customs Duty... Where's the deal, Man? .....LOL

For a homemade TT, I would recomment a custom SL1200... most parts are dirt cheap and readily available from local service representatives and you can easily get the service manual on the inet.
I would start with a custom plynth, then start building it part by part, making alterations as you see fit. Maybe a custom psu too... hmmm I like this idea... :) Maybe I ll try it myself.

kingfisher...

I am hoping to be able to offer a kit of parts for a complete turntable (mainly the platter and the bearing, but also tonearm and motor/motor controller) in the near future. I will post if it comes to fruition.

Kits are a pain to find...and parts for some existing turntables, and hence my interest. $626 + shipping is not that bad of a deal., but it won't compete with one made in Canada from parts manufactured in Canada.

A platter and a bearing are not a trivial thing.

dimkasta: not neccessarily a bad idea. But the SL1200 is discontinued and costs are high for what you get at this time as a used table.

Last edited:
Costs...

Well,once you buy a kit, then you still need a motor (for the Choir Audio). All of a sudden the table is appearing to cost close to similar complete tables. A Rega RP-3 may end up at exactly the same cost, with unknown results. The potential kit I am suggesting is the exact same as a well regarded European TT, using the exact same parts as their commercial product.

I had tried to do this with Grant Fidelity a few years ago to no successful outcome. Chinese makers required the purchase of enough stock to bankrupt most any small nations. I need to look closer at local manufacturing vs. importation from Europe.

As soon as more details are available, I'll create a post in vendors bizarre.

TT Kits

I am going to bow out on my opening thread. (TT Kits) Having visited a Hi-Fi shop in Ottawa, I have seen and heard the Pro-ject Essential and at $525.00+Tx Canadian $s it eases the mind on Bang for the buck! Being able to hear it NOW or save money for a killer setup? The Kit may have me pining for some time, but what I heard I can enjoy again sooner than milling wood and waiting on $ to fall into my pockets! There are no free lunches here, but I will save my $$ till nanook gets his stuff online! Maybe it will be worth the short time! Nanook?
Pro-Ject Audio Systems

kingfisher... we all do what we need to.

I am going to bow out on my opening thread. (TT Kits) Having visited a Hi-Fi shop in Ottawa, I have seen and heard the Pro-ject Essential and at $525.00+Tx Canadian $s it eases the mind on Bang for the buck! Being able to hear it NOW or save money for a killer setup? The Kit may have me pining for some time, but what I heard I can enjoy again sooner than milling wood and waiting on $ to fall into my pockets! There are no free lunches here, but I will save my $$ till nanook gets his stuff online! Maybe it will be worth the short time! Nanook?

I am sure the Pro-ject is competent. Please don't jump on the first decent table that you audition. I suggest that you seek out a dealer to demo a Rega RP-1. The tonearm can be improved as funds permit as well as the platter bearing, the platter, the sub-platter, motor, motor mount, power supply and the motor pulley. Or seek out as many dealers as you can with differrent brand options. The MMF series of tables are made by Pro-ject (AFAIK), but are market through Music Hall.

Or look at a used higher end table. I know that any possible kit of parts will be at least 30 days out from me. Have a look at Canuck Audiomart to see if anything there tickles your fancy. Of course there are always the sponsors here at DIYaudio, and private members selling stuff here as well.

Feel free to PM me for further info regarding the potential kits.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.