Technics SL1200 MK2!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have the weirdest problem, I own 2 pairs of technics, one pair of 1200 mk2 and one pair of 1210 m3d, both purchased recently used but in good condition. Here's the problem, both pairs drift out of time severely. This was confirmed by recording a record into cubase, obviously i wasnt expecting digital accuracy but within 8 bars it had lost the metronome pretty badly! The other 1210 was slightly more stable but still a concern. I've been a dj for 20 years and have never found technics to be this problematic to mix on so I'm kinda thinking whats wrong with these turntables. Replaced the pitch controls in the 1200's recently (all callibrated properly), didnt help at all so tried levelling them, still no help. The only common denominators between the turntables are the cartridges and styli which i swap around as and when, the records I play and the electric supply in my house. I'm using shure m44-7 cartridges. Any help/suggestions would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Hi kevin, thanks for the reply and info, do you know if there is a way of testing the caps? It's odd because if you look at the strobe it appears to be keeping good time but they are a nightmare to use. Any other issues with these turntables that can cause these symptoms?

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi kevin, thanks for the reply and info, do you know if there is a way of testing the caps? It's odd because if you look at the strobe it appears to be keeping good time but they are a nightmare to use. Any other issues with these turntables that can cause these symptoms?

Cheers

In my case the strobe was the evidence of speed instability. The speed would not lock into a stable relationship on the strobe and it would slowly drift with no way to stabilize it using the speed adjustment pot. If you are showing "lock" on the strobe while seeing drift based on digital acquisition of the music then it seems there are three possibilities:

-The frequency of your AC supply is unstable...this seems very improbable as the interconnected grid enforces lock step and in my experience (looking at a high resolution HP counter) it stays very close to 60.00 Hz.

-The degree of frequency stability you need is much higher than the resolution of the strobe display or you have the speed adjusted to one of the alternate strobe dot displays for higher or lower pitch rather than the "big dots" for standard pitch.

-The album you are working with was recorded with a speed error...no idea how likely this is.

Thanks for the replies! Update: Been carefully analysing the strobes and it seems that on one of the 1210's the strobe is showing a very slight pulse on the platters dots, the dots seem to slow down (or speed up, not sure which) momentarily before continuing their journey, this was confirmed on all rows of dots. Also, I cant make the dots on any of the tables stand stationary at all, they're always either going slightly backward or forward but never stationary unless quartz lock is activated. So......new caps all round?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.