Linn Keel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,
I am thinking on un upgrade my lp12 with a new keel. I am thinking on manufacture one.
Question: do anyone know if tech. Data (drawings, specs, etc) is available for a Diy project?
K.Rgds

We have a saying in English (I'm assuming English is not your first language! :) ) "If pigs could fly ...". :D

Why do you think Linn would publish their IP just so any DIYer could copy the Keel? :confused:

If you really want to make one, you can get the external dimensions from your current pressed-steel subchassis and armboard. The final shape can be different - eg. more ovoid.

If you make sure you cut out sections of an aluminium billet so that:
1. the total weight is similar to (or at least, not too much more than) the pressed-steel subchassis & armboard, and
2. the centre of gravity is at the same point as the pressed-steel subchassis & armboard

... you might get something that approximates a Keel. However, unless it is made of the same aluminium alloy as the Keel, it won't perform exactly the same. Then again, Greenstreet makes a Keel-clone, so why not buy theirs if you can't afford a genuine Keel?

Another alternative - which is the path I have chosen - is AudioFlat's "RubiKon" ... which is rated (by Linn dealers) as 90% of the performance, for 1/2 the price! :) (In my case, the choice was driven by the fact that they will make one for a Graham 2.2 arm, which the Keel is not available for.)

Regards,

Andy

We have a saying in English (I'm assuming English is not your first language! :) ) "If pigs could fly ...". :D

Why do you think Linn would publish their IP just so any DIYer could copy the Keel? :confused:

If you really want to make one, you can get the external dimensions from your current pressed-steel subchassis and armboard. The final shape can be different - eg. more ovoid.

If you make sure you cut out sections of an aluminium billet so that:
1. the total weight is similar to (or at least, not too much more than) the pressed-steel subchassis & armboard, and
2. the centre of gravity is at the same point as the pressed-steel subchassis & armboard

... you might get something that approximates a Keel. However, unless it is made of the same aluminium alloy as the Keel, it won't perform exactly the same. Then again, Greenstreet makes a Keel-clone, so why not buy theirs if you can't afford a genuine Keel?

Another alternative - which is the path I have chosen - is AudioFlat's "RubiKon" ... which is rated (by Linn dealers) as 90% of the performance, for 1/2 the price! :) (In my case, the choice was driven by the fact that they will make one for a Graham 2.2 arm, which the Keel is not available for.)

Regards,

Andy

Andy,

Thanks for info.

K. Rgds

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.