What turntable and phono preamp for recording? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2012, 12:16 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What turntable and phono preamp for recording?

Hello,

I would like to improve my vinyl recording gear. I currently have a Rega Fono and old technics 1200 mk2 with an Ortogon Concorde Arkiv cartridge. Im looking for the clearest most transparent combination and yet still affordable. All this is going to an RME ADI8 DS AD/DA unit.
What can you guys recommend?

-Thanks

P.S. I m looking to build the phono preamp using info from the forum.

Last edited by fabriciom; 10th January 2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10th January 2012, 12:26 AM   #2
pski is offline pski  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabriciom View Post
Hello,

I would like to improve my vinyl recording gear. I currently have a Rega Fono and old technics 1200 mk2 with an Ortogon Concorde Arkiv cartridge. Im looking for the clearest most transparent combination and yet still affordable. All this is going to an RME ADI8 DS AD/DA unit.
What can you guys recommend?

-Thanks

P.S. I m looking to build the phono preamp using info from the forum.
No

Check the level <front/back/up/down> and <anti>skate

Last edited by pski; 10th January 2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10th January 2012, 12:33 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

What do you mean with No? As in this is a good setup?
Old 10th January 2012, 10:39 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

...regarding phono pre-amp, the Hagerman Cornet2 (valve) DIY kit has very good feedback, if you want to spend about $500 +... in parts etc. (They also have a solid state phono preamp called 'the Bugle', for about $40 for the circuit board, you then add the parts yourself...)

...failing that, the 'Boozehound' (available on ebay) has some good reports, for about $79....

...the Oatley K301 (look up Oatley Electronics K301 via Google) is a mini-tube DIY for under $50...some pretty good results, once you get it adjusted properly etc...

...the TC-750, from phonopreamps is ready made for under $50...some good reports on it. I have one I extensively modded with Elna Silmic II caps and other tweaks, and it sounds rather good, but ends up costing about $100 after mods....They have one model specifically designed to compete with the NAD P3, which they claim 'exceeds' it in quality/performance. You might want to have a look at thier website. They are also on ebay...
Old 10th January 2012, 10:43 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Go with the Rega (I assume Planar 3)...You can modify the tonearm and isolate the motor housing.

Hide this!Advertise here!