What turntable and phono preamp for recording?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I would like to improve my vinyl recording gear. I currently have a Rega Fono and old technics 1200 mk2 with an Ortogon Concorde Arkiv cartridge. Im looking for the clearest most transparent combination and yet still affordable. All this is going to an RME ADI8 DS AD/DA unit.
What can you guys recommend?

-Thanks

P.S. I m looking to build the phono preamp using info from the forum.

Last edited:
Hello,

I would like to improve my vinyl recording gear. I currently have a Rega Fono and old technics 1200 mk2 with an Ortogon Concorde Arkiv cartridge. Im looking for the clearest most transparent combination and yet still affordable. All this is going to an RME ADI8 DS AD/DA unit.
What can you guys recommend?

-Thanks

P.S. I m looking to build the phono preamp using info from the forum.

No

Check the level <front/back/up/down> and <anti>skate

Last edited:
...regarding phono pre-amp, the Hagerman Cornet2 (valve) DIY kit has very good feedback, if you want to spend about $500 +... in parts etc. (They also have a solid state phono preamp called 'the Bugle', for about $40 for the circuit board, you then add the parts yourself...)

...failing that, the 'Boozehound' (available on ebay) has some good reports, for about $79....

...the Oatley K301 (look up Oatley Electronics K301 via Google) is a mini-tube DIY for under $50...some pretty good results, once you get it adjusted properly etc...

...the TC-750, from phonopreamps is ready made for under $50...some good reports on it. I have one I extensively modded with Elna Silmic II caps and other tweaks, and it sounds rather good, but ends up costing about $100 after mods....They have one model specifically designed to compete with the NAD P3, which they claim 'exceeds' it in quality/performance. You might want to have a look at thier website. They are also on ebay...

...regarding phono pre-amp, the Hagerman Cornet2 (valve) DIY kit has very good feedback, if you want to spend about $500 +... in parts etc. (They also have a solid state phono preamp called 'the Bugle', for about $40 for the circuit board, you then add the parts yourself...)

...failing that, the 'Boozehound' (available on ebay) has some good reports, for about $79....

...the Oatley K301 (look up Oatley Electronics K301 via Google) is a mini-tube DIY for under $50...some pretty good results, once you get it adjusted properly etc...

...the TC-750, from phonopreamps is ready made for under $50...some good reports on it. I have one I extensively modded with Elna Silmic II caps and other tweaks, and it sounds rather good, but ends up costing about $100 after mods....They have one model specifically designed to compete with the NAD P3, which they claim 'exceeds' it in quality/performance. You might want to have a look at thier website. They are also on ebay...

Hi,

Sorry to bring this back, but im still working on the pearl 2 and wanted to know how does the Cornet2 or Cornet3 compare with the Pearl 2?

Would upgrading to an MM and a Cornet make a huge difference compared to the Perl 2 an Ortofon Arkiv?

-Thanks,
Fabricio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.