Speed control woes - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2003, 05:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Speed control woes

I've recently acquired a Kenwood KD500 direct drive turntable. Unfortunately, it doesn't always turn the platter at a constant 33.3 RPM - so I get some major wow. The speed adjustment knobs are very fiddly, ie a tiny movement of them can (sometimes) produce a large change in rotation speed. HAving said this, the TT will usually hold a constant speed for a whole side of an LP.

Are the speed control circuits in these turntables particularly difficult to overhaul/fix?? Any help would be appreciated, as I know virtually nothing about these sort of circuits. My electronic tool kit really only consists of a multimeter and a soldering iron.

Cheers,
Joseph
Old 17th September 2003, 05:53 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

question for those who know, from one who doesn't: is this one of the reasons audiophiles seem to prefer belt-drive over direct-drive?

a thought which may help your tt: maybe your platter would benefit from some added mass, especially at the perimeter. seems to me the flywheel effect would tend to dampen speed variations. just a guess, anyway - not speaking from experience.

/andrew
Old 17th September 2003, 06:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for your suggestion, but the changes in speed are fairly large - too large for increased rotational inertia to obliterate.

I think the biggest advantage with belt drive is that less vibration is transferred from the motor to the turntable platter. Although good motors run very quietly, the pick-up cartridge is fundamentally designed to amplify vibrations.

I suppose that the sort of problem I'm having is just as likely to occur in belt-drives as it is in direct-drives.

Cheers,
Joseph.
Old 17th September 2003, 06:40 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

controls are dirty....first try and clean then replace if its a no go...basic dc servo circuit....no big deal

Hide this!Advertise here!