diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Analogue Source (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/)
-   -   beginner help - thorens td 125 mk2 (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/203493-beginner-help-thorens-td-125-mk2.html)

langers2004 31st December 2011 09:17 AM

beginner help - thorens td 125 mk2

Hi,

I have just aquired a td 125mk2 and am looking for some help.

Firstly there is no plug on the end of the twin grey wire from the unit. It is a uk player so im assuming i just need to wire one on?

The arm has been replaced with a linn basik plus and im unsure what the cartridge is. I took everything apart and everything seems connected and nothing looks damaged inside.

I am a little confused by the cartridge however. I cant seem to see the needle? Do these 'move down' when the player is turned on? On my current cheap player the needle is visible all of the time.

I also need to purchase a new plastic cover and where the arm is attached the wood is a tad damaged so would like to replace this too if there is a good parts retailer.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

ebrjvd 31st December 2011 10:50 AM

Could you post some pictures?

markinuk 31st December 2011 11:10 AM

Hi

The twin grey lead you mention sounds like the power lead. If so, and if the voltage is the same as the UK where you are, you just need to attach a mains plug, as you say. The Basik Plus arm should have its own lead with phono plugs, of course.

An 'invisible' stylus (needle) normally means it has gone for good! You need to buy a new stylus for the cartridge. If it isn't clear what the cartridge is, try to see whether there is a descriptive label on the top surface that contacts the headshell. You may need to dismount the cartridge to see.

The alternative is simply to buy a new cartridge with stylus, and these would range from the Audio Technica AT95E, which works well in these arms, up to some quite expensive models.

For a replacement cover, you'd need to look for a second-hand one (people sometimes sell the individual parts of these decks). Alternatively, a plastics fabricator could make one up to your measurements quite cheaply.

HTH

Mark

langers2004 31st December 2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markinuk (Post 2840860)
Hi

The twin grey lead you mention sounds like the power lead. If so, and if the voltage is the same as the UK where you are, you just need to attach a mains plug, as you say. The Basik Plus arm should have its own lead with phono plugs, of course.

An 'invisible' stylus (needle) normally means it has gone for good! You need to buy a new stylus for the cartridge. If it isn't clear what the cartridge is, try to see whether there is a descriptive label on the top surface that contacts the headshell. You may need to dismount the cartridge to see.

The alternative is simply to buy a new cartridge with stylus, and these would range from the Audio Technica AT95E, which works well in these arms, up to some quite expensive models.

For a replacement cover, you'd need to look for a second-hand one (people sometimes sell the individual parts of these decks). Alternatively, a plastics fabricator could make one up to your measurements quite cheaply.

HTH

Mark

Great thanks for the help.

Are the cartridges expensive? I have never bought one before. The arm has its own phono cables which i have cleaned up.

The cartridge on there almost looks as if the arm and needle fold up inside?

I have a spare but this seems to definitely be broken as the arm is present but there is no little needle attached to the end of it. This one i know is a ortofon however?

langers2004 31st December 2011 12:11 PM

Also the stylus on there doesnt have anything written on it or the cartridge. To take the stylus off there is a small screw holding it into the cartridge. Its 2 different shades of grey if that makes any difference?

langers2004 31st December 2011 02:15 PM

Also wanted to add i have just bought a ac plug for the table. What fuse should i put in this? And as the cable is solid grey how will i distinguish which cable to connect to positive or negative?

Drakula38 31st December 2011 03:19 PM

you need to post some photo to identify the type of cartridge you had and you mention ortofon they aren't cheap I would say

1 or 2 amps I think will do it's only to power the motor, to distinguish you need trace where the two leads goes if it go thru transformer then doesnt matter either way if not you need to wire (L or HOt ) means live is connected to fuse and the other to ground

langers2004 31st December 2011 04:27 PM

Ive got the fuse sorted now and have powered it up. Nothing happening as yet?!

I will post a picture of the cartridge that i cant identify. The ortofon is 100 for a new stylus.

kevinkr 31st December 2011 05:32 PM

Manuals for this table are on Vinyl Engine | The Home of the Turntable, you need to be a member to access them. Lots of helpful people over there as well.. Please make sure that the power transformer is actually wired for your local mains voltage if it did not come from a UK/European seller.

You should plan on having the electroytic capacitors in the power supply replaced fairly soon if they have not been done already. Further service may be required if the motor is not running properly.

Do you have a belt on your table and when powered up does the motor actually run?

kevinkr 31st December 2011 05:34 PM

:cop: Please don't create multiple threads about your TT this is a violation of forum policy. I deleted the other one.