Ground problem Rega RP1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just finished a PP EL84 amp, with most connections there is no hum at all at full power - dead silent with my CD player. But with my RP-1 there is quite a bit of hum, and increasingly more when I move the arm closer to the centre of the deck.

There is no ground wire, I believe the ground goes down the tone arm in the RP-1. So I am not too sure what might be the issue. Like I mentioned the hum gets louder as the arm moves closer to the centre, maybe because of the motor.

Any tips?

Cheers

Charlie

Perchance are you using a Grado cartridge? It's a known issue. Search for "grado hum rega" and you'll get the background.

It's not an absolute problem - I have an old Planar-2 with a newer RB250 and a Grado Blue and the hum is almost non-existent. But I also run the motor at a lower voltage than standard.

-bill

For reference.

My record player has been on the shelf below my amp. When moving the deck around the room the hum disappeared, so I guess it is the PS choke or transformers causing interference?

Deck is now happily away from the amp, and probelm solved... for now.

Charlie

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.