Rega Planar 3/2 - Significant modifications - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2013, 02:32 AM   #51
diyAudio Member

In addition, the statement regarding RB250s being the 'only' OEM arm is incorrect. The RB300 was also an OEM arm, ie:

OEM 1
rega oem 1
The OEM version of the RB250 is known as the OEM 1. The arm rest bears no Rega branding and an alternative manufacturers mark can be found on the bias housing. In the case of the NAD version of the arm the plastic bias knob and cap on the counterweight are moulded in red plastic instead of green or black. Versions of the arm have been marketed as the Moth Arm 1, Audio Note Arm 1, Origin Live OL1 etc

OEM 2
rega oem 2
The OEM version of the RB300 is known as the OEM 2. It can be identified by the lack of Rega branding cast into the arm rest and by the manufacturers mark on the bias housing, just behind the bias control knob. Versions of the arm have been marketed as the Moth Arm 2, Audio Note Arm 2 and Origin Live OL2 etc

http://www.vinylengine.com/a-guide-rega-tonearms.shtml

There were OEM versions of BOTH the RB250 AND RB300...

Last edited by TigerScent; 25th January 2013 at 02:37 AM.
Old 25th January 2013, 03:00 AM   #52
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarddn View Post
Hi, Anyone who is really Serious at updating a Rega should consider the arm mods from Website: audio mods Rega arm conversion kits and DIY mods
and the turntable mods from Home
I saw that site (among others) quite some time ago before modding my RB300...

Looks impressive - but still costs $$$....I would recommend just buying a Michell tecnoarm as well, if one wants to spend X amount of $$$ with optimal result.

Audio Origami is another excellent value-for-money site I would go to with regards to modding the Rega tonearms. As far as I know, he prefers the RB250 overall. I would recommend anyone who wants value for money - and does not want to do the modding themselves, to consider Johnny at OA as a first point of call...

The Audiomods look quite involved, but when done right I imagine they would be quite impressive results...

The mods I suggest with regards to the tonearm, can be easily done in your shed or home, and will cost a minimum outlay of $$$....and in particular for a RB300, I believe it is the best cost-effective price-to-performance path to follow..., but can also be done with an RB250 with stunning improvement also...

The motor isolation will make a gr8 major difference, and the other mods are cost effective ones to squeeze the most out of your Rega TT with minimum outlay that 'work'....

Have fun ---
Old 25th January 2013, 09:53 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917
One of my friends has the entry level Audiomods arm from Jeff, on an LP12, with Denon 103r and running into Naim phono cards. I never used to like the sound with the Ittok on his deck, far so soft and mellow. But the Audiomods is striking in its sound, well worth the money and a better arm than the RB700 I used to have on my LP12 by some margin.
Old 25th January 2013, 10:58 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
One of my friends has the entry level Audiomods arm from Jeff, on an LP12, with Denon 103r and running into Naim phono cards. I never used to like the sound with the Ittok on his deck, far so soft and mellow. But the Audiomods is striking in its sound, well worth the money and a better arm than the RB700 I used to have on my LP12 by some margin.
Yep ... they generally use the RB250/251 ... its quite common to hear remarks like this ... A modded RB250 can excel in performace way beyond its pricepoint...
Old 25th January 2013, 11:45 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

http://www.audiomods.co.uk/armbuild.pdf

This site (pdf) also speaks of the clear sonic differences between the RB300 and RB250 tonearms; stock and modded.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...41524429,d.dGI

Last edited by TigerScent; 25th January 2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 25th January 2013, 02:47 PM   #56
MrPig is offline MrPig  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Thank you for the very nice post. All sorts of neat info that I wasn't familiar with
You're welcome. If you check with Rega you'll find it's accurate.

Quote:
I never used to like the sound with the Ittok on his deck, far so soft and mellow
I think that is the first time I've heard the Ittok described as soft and mellow! ;0) I used one for years and found it anything but. In the end I got fed up with the upper-mid/lower-treble zing. My modded RB300 is a more balanced and musical arm.
Old 25th January 2013, 02:59 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

The Audiomods arm is not a modified RB250. The only Rega parts used in it are the arm-tube, the arm-lift device and the plastic arm-rest. These three parts are exactly the same on both the RB250 and RB300.

The reason the RB250 is use as a donor is that the RB300 has that interference-fit steel cylinder inside the bearing boss which, unless you have some tidy engineering skills, you're not getting out! By contrast the bearings in the RB250 tube are a doddle to remove, sometimes they're not very tight at all.
Old 25th January 2013, 03:28 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917
Maybe we can all leave the pedantry to one side.
Old 25th January 2013, 03:58 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
Maybe we can all leave the pedantry to one side.
Which might or might not be supported? ;0)
Old 26th January 2013, 12:17 AM   #60
diyAudio Member

Simple empirical and proven fact by many over time, is that the RB250 is the better arm than the RB300 overall, structurally by design - due to its rigid simplicity and precision - and subsequent sonic improvement: This has been demonstated time and time again and verified by enthusiasts and sceptics alike over a decade now...It has become a moot point...

The RB250 however needs to have the right modifications in order to bring out its full potential, and when both are compared when modified and taken to thier fullest potential, the RB250 always comes out on top soncially....The RB300 is good - however the RB250 is that much better in comparison when modified significantly and properly

Last edited by TigerScent; 26th January 2013 at 12:19 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!