2nd Interesting Link

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
more with springs than without. you got it but you got it wrong. up and down motion is harmless it is lateral motion which causes the problems. So you design a suspension which channels vibration into a plane which does no harm. Best regards Moray James.

Hi Moray, I'm interested to know your opinion of the effect of spring stiffness on the effectiveness of the spring suspension.

What effect would increasing the stiffness of the springs by, say 30%, have (on a Linn-type, 3-point suspension)?

Thanks,

Andy

Increasing the stiffness of the spring would raise the resonant frequency of the LP12 suspension, moving it closer to the critical arm/cart resonance. Not what you want.

Thanks, sq - that makes sense. :)

OK, 2 Qs:

1. What will I notice happening, if the arm/cart resonance was the same as the resonant frequency of the LP12 suspension?

2. If I don't notice any difference in the arm/cart resonance (when playing a test LP) ... then presumably whatever springs I have used in place of the stock Linn springs have not moved the RF too close to the arm/cart resonance? :confused:

(BTW, I do have a specific reason for asking these Qs! ;) )

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Moray, I'm interested to know your opinion of the effect of spring stiffness on the effectiveness of the spring suspension.

What effect would increasing the stiffness of the springs by, say 30%, have (on a Linn-type, 3-point suspension)?

Thanks,

Andy

Andy: if you use stiffer springs in your table and your moving mass is kept the same then the rate of frequency that your suspension resonates or bounces at will increase in frequency so the table will bounce faster. Use softer springs and the table will bounce at a slower rate, You want your bounce to be at a lower frequency than your arm cartridge combination. You arm or cartridge maker should be able to tell you what your combination of arm and cartridge will resonate at tune the suspension 2 -3 Hz. below that.
The Analog dept has some of the best tweaking info you will find on line so check them out. It has been decades since I have done any of this stuff so if I am in error forgive me I will be happy to be corrected but I think I have it right. Best regards Moray James.

Andy: if you use stiffer springs in your table and your moving mass is kept the same then the rate of frequency that your suspension resonates or bounces at will increase in frequency so the table will bounce faster. Use softer springs and the table will bounce at a slower rate, You want your bounce to be at a lower frequency than your arm cartridge combination. You arm or cartridge maker should be able to tell you what your combination of arm and cartridge will resonate at ... tune the suspension 2-3 Hz. below that.

The Analog dept has some of the best tweaking info you will find on line so check them out. It has been decades since I have done any of this stuff so if I am in error forgive me I will be happy to be corrected but I think I have it right. Best regards Moray James.

Thank you, MJ - very interesting information which makes sense to me! :)

So, if I can paraphrase what you said:

a) if I use my test LP to find the Hz (vertical & horizontal) that my cartridge oscillates at, in my new 12" UP arm on my new 'SkeletaLinn' TT, then

b) if this oscillation behaves in exactly the same way as it did with (the same cartridge in) my LP12 ... my new 'SkeletaLinn' (with stiffer springs) plus 12" arm combo must have a perfectly acceptable suspension resonance?

Am I correct?

Thanks,

Andy

Horizontal damping

At the 2011 RMAF I think it was Oracle who was showing the effect of horizontal damping. The difference between no damping and some damping was quite audible. It kind of locked the image in space ! The damping adjusted too little or too much killed the effect. I was impressed !

At the 2011 RMAF I think it was Oracle who was showing the effect of horizontal damping. The difference between no damping and some damping was quite audible. It kind of locked the image in space ! The damping adjusted too little or too much killed the effect. I was impressed !

Can you explain what you mean by "horizontal damping", ashok?

I can think of 2 different explanations ... so I'd like to know which one you intended. ;)

And how was this damping effected?

Thanks,

Andy

Well, they had vertical damping , and I didn't check the actual implementation.
Then there was some disc like attachment with a screw for adjustment on the vertical damping set up. Looked like it used some sort of viscous damping fluid. It was adjustable from zero damping and increasing continuously.I could be wrong. Maybe we should look up their products and see if it was explained there. It should be if they were demonstrating it ! It was most effective at only one position.
The web site doesn't describe the suspension in detail. Maybe the users manual might !

By horizontal damping I meant that they had damped even horizontal movement of the platter assembly. Quite unusual as most just seem to address the vertical movement.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.