Wich ways to turn your DIY turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I was thinking about doing a DIY turntable but I keep thinking about one problem , what way to drive the turntable.

What ways are possible (AC/DC motor , flywheel , ...)
and which do you have ?

some more info about my design includes a 20 kilo / 44 lbs platter, belt driven.

thanks Matthias,

Last edited:
20KG platter means first thinking in designing a bearing (invers, magneticm air ...) and then you can try out several motor variants.

This is what I was thinking for the bearing :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Brass casing, with a polished steel spindle at the bottom will come a steel ball and a 2 mm tick delrin plate.

The cut outs that you see in the middle are to minimise friction and help to lubricate the spindle

This is more or less the same as the original Teres bearing - 3/4 inch with the early versions, then later increased to 20mm.....
My bearing ( still unmounted ) have a regular 12mm bearing ball recessed into the pivot end.....
20kg is rather on the heavy side, though, - just wondering what there really is to gain with the last 10kgs..... except for visual impression :rolleyes:

With my current 12KG platter I tried several combinations including Ruby etc. and I use now a rounded spindle (in reality that's the same like a ball) and a hardened steel plate. It runs perfect.

For use of a 20KG+ platter I'd recommend not such a bearing we are discussing here. Have a look on hydrostatic or squeeze film bearing. Others are magnetic or air bearing....

This is more or less the same as the original Teres bearing - 3/4 inch with the early versions, then later increased to 20mm.....
My bearing ( still unmounted ) have a regular 12mm bearing ball recessed into the pivot end.....
20kg is rather on the heavy side, though, - just wondering what there really is to gain with the last 10kgs..... except for visual impression :rolleyes:

yes indeed what there is to gain with more mass ? more stability less vibrations ? this if you have an excellent bearing of course

With my current 12KG platter I tried several combinations including Ruby etc. and I use now a rounded spindle (in reality that's the same like a ball) and a hardened steel plate. It runs perfect.

For use of a 20KG+ platter I'd recommend not such a bearing we are discussing here. Have a look on hydrostatic or squeeze film bearing. Others are magnetic or air bearing....

Is the rounded end of your spindle hardened ?

Can I ask you what material you used for your spindle ?

Of course because it's not a secret and many other colleagues use it as well. Bearing steel is a common material here. But use the best you can get, and if you are not sure read the article from JC Verdier about his turntable.

Just to answer one of the next questions, tolerances can be found in every good "Mechanical and Metal Trades Handbook". One of the most forgotten thing is the pulley, choose the best tolerances you can reach.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.