Passive RIAA Equalization Calculation - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2011, 11:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Passive RIAA Equalization Calculation

Hi All,

This is want happens when I have a day off. I create an Excel spreadsheet to calculate passive RIAA equalization. I just finished putting together a PassLabs Pearl Phono pre-amp (sounds great!). But just for fun and a learning project I decided to check Wayne's work. I downloaded Stanley P. Lipshitz's AES article "On RIAA Equalization Networks" (what did we do before the WWW?)(Thank you so much Mr. Lipshitz!).

Choosing figure 7b and table 1c I created an Excel spreadsheet. Be aware, I am no Excel Wizard, nor have I taken a math class for 40 years. So I did the best I could. The spreadsheet is not elegant but it seems to work correctly.

To use it simply change the values for the Cs and Rs in yellow. The results should appear in the blue cells.

If you see any issues with the spreadsheet please let me know. Also, if you would like to add the circuit in figure 7a/table 1b, or any other circuit, feel free. I am sure other DIY Audio folks will appreciate it.

BTW, Wayne values as calculated are very close to the standard. Measured values for T5 and T0 (as calculated, but not to standard) are spot on given the standard component values he used. T4 is about 100Hz off but this may be due to component tolerances.

Thanks,
Jim
Attached Files
File Type: zip RIAA Eq.zip (4.2 KB, 350 views)
Old 30th April 2014, 02:01 PM   #2
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbanneck View Post
Hi All,

This is want happens when I have a day off. I create an Excel spreadsheet to calculate passive RIAA equalization. I just finished putting together a PassLabs Pearl Phono pre-amp (sounds great!). But just for fun and a learning project I decided to check Wayne's work. I downloaded Stanley P. Lipshitz's AES article "On RIAA Equalization Networks" (what did we do before the WWW?)(Thank you so much Mr. Lipshitz!).

Choosing figure 7b and table 1c I created an Excel spreadsheet. Be aware, I am no Excel Wizard, nor have I taken a math class for 40 years. So I did the best I could. The spreadsheet is not elegant but it seems to work correctly.

To use it simply change the values for the Cs and Rs in yellow. The results should appear in the blue cells.

If you see any issues with the spreadsheet please let me know. Also, if you would like to add the circuit in figure 7a/table 1b, or any other circuit, feel free. I am sure other DIY Audio folks will appreciate it.

BTW, Wayne values as calculated are very close to the standard. Measured values for T5 and T0 (as calculated, but not to standard) are spot on given the standard component values he used. T4 is about 100Hz off but this may be due to component tolerances.

Thanks,
Jim
Hi Jim

Would you post the circuit you are referring to ?
Old 30th April 2014, 04:26 PM   #3
udok is offline udok  Austria
diyAudio Member

Hello Jim,
Great Work! Keep in mind that the C values in your Excel sheet are very high.
These high values are expensive if you use good capacitors with neglegible distortion.
Also the driver OPV will need a current buffer at the output
Regards,
Udo
Old 5th June 2014, 03:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I took this a little further and include the active and passive RIAA equalization networks, grouping them into 1A, 1B, 1C and 1D as in Lipshitz 1979 JAES article. You can see how the active and passive networks are related: DIY Test Equipment for Audio and Ham Radio Enthusiasts

You can take a seed value of either C1 or R1 and work back to the other component values.

1A - active only
R1=T3/C1 R1=3180uS/C1
C1/C2 3.6
R1/R2 11.778

Click the image to open in full size.

1B -- active
R2=T4/(C1+C2) R2=318uS/(C1+C2)
C1/C2= 2.916
R1/R2= 12.403

1B -- passive

1C -- active
R2=T4/C1 R2=318uS/C1
C1/C2= 2.916
R1/R2= 6.877

1C -- passive

1D -- active only (and not often used according to Lipshitz)
R1||R2=T4/C1
C1/C2= 3.826
R1/R2= 6.877
Using R1/R2=6.877
R1||R2= 0.1269*R1

Last edited by jackinnj; 5th June 2014 at 03:09 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!