Rega Planar 3 with RB200 best bang for my bucks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Rega Planar 3 that was purchased new in 1979 that has the what I believe is the RB200 S shaped arm on it. I would like to spend at the most $300.00 on it. What would be the most bang for my buck? I am presently using an Ortofon MC3 Turbo cartridge. I have not touched the antiskate as I am aware of the problems assosiated with it. At the moment I really do not have any problems with the sound or function. The tonearm is loose on the plinth but I have been hesitant to do any adjustments due to the antiskate issue. I am getting on in age and my ears are not the best but I still appreciate good sound. I primarily listen to a lot of classic rock but I appreciate clear well produced music and have always taken the best of care of my albums. I am totally open to suggestions and am not afraid of soldering so if an antiskate fix and some new wire is the answer I am ready, but I am also willing to attempt a completely new tonearm.

Those Ortofon turbos have an awfully high tip mass. May I suggest a Stanton 681EEE, or an A-T or Nagaoka? The low-mid end A-T moving magnet carts like the AT3482, AT92E, AT120E, AT95E and others preform well above their price range. Don't get me wrong, they're not exactly Koetsus, but they're good to the point to take seriously for someone with your budget. The AT440MLa can be found for around $150. I'd highly recommended it if it was still going for $100 like it used to, but now I'm not so sure. If you don't mind rolled off highs I'd recommend the Shure M97.

Hope this helps!

I do like both of these ideas but cannot afford both at once. To be honest I have been looking at the tonearms all the time on ebay and have always been just a little hesitant. Is it a fairly easy job to mount a new (or new to me) tone arm as long as it is from another Rega? I dont want to start a wire war but am I really going to hear $150.00 worth of Cardas wire or should I just focus on the other mechanicals of the arm? I do also have an old Ortofon MC20 that I was told was worn out years ago but could never throw away. Could I have a jeweler look at it under his loupe or whatever and clean it ultrasonically?

Is it a fairly easy job to mount a new (or new to me) tone arm as long as it is from another Rega?

All Rega arms share the same mounting distance (222mm), but the newer arms have slightly different mounting requirements. The arm pillars are probably a little bigger than the old R200 also.

I dont want to start a wire war but am I really going to hear $150.00 worth of Cardas wire or should I just focus on the other mechanicals of the arm?

It's my understanding that the newer arms (RB251 etc.) have better wire quality from the factory. It's just the older ones that came with cheap wire. There is litz wire available from the UK that is just as good as Cardas, and about $140.00 cheaper. It's just a pain to solder.

I do also have an old Ortofon MC20 that I was told was worn out years ago but could never throw away. Could I have a jeweler look at it under his loupe or whatever and clean it ultrasonically?

You need more than a loupe to inspect the stylus. A microscope with 100x mag. with a strong light would be nice.

jeff

Ok I have finally got an RB250 tonearm with an RB300 base. I also picked up a VTA kit to go with it. I am now debating rewiring. I have read pros and cons to this mod. Most of the cons concern damaging bearing whilst doing this procedure. On the monetary side I also wonder if my old ears will hear any difference with this mod? Would I be wiser to put the money from the wire on top of what I plan to spend on a cartridge instead? I do have an old Ortofon MCA 76 MM preamp if I choose to go that direction. If a jury of my peers feels that I should go with the rewire, should I go with the full single run product like Origin Live or ISOkinetic or a cheaper two part scheme? I have checked and I realize many of these questions come up again and again but technology changes and so do opinions. Thanks for your help guys. ( :

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.