lateral vibration in turntables.......audible ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2011, 08:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default lateral vibration in turntables.......audible ?

At the RMAF is saw a beautiful lookng turntable from Oracle. This one had a damped supsension in the vertical direction as usual and also a damping system for horizontal vibration. Basically a plunger in silicone oil. The amount of damping could be adjusted by adjusting the depth of the plunger.
I didn't expect to hear much of a difference with or without the horizontal damping. They demo'ed this feature by playing a disc with and without the damping. There was a VERY noticeable difference in 'focus' of the sound.
Like removing a veil from the front of the speakers.

Certainly something I plan to experiment with on my TD124 as soon as practically possible. I was very impressed with the demo !
Anyone else heard that demo ? Or has any comment on the effect of horizontal damping ?
Old 19th October 2011, 01:18 AM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Probably has something to do with why high mass plinths are popular with the TD-124... My 124/II is in a slate plinth that weighs in excess of 80lbs, noticed a pretty significant improvement in performance when I put it in this plinth.. (More focus, lower noise floor)

If you are running a TD-124/I the 124/II motor mount upgrade is a significant improvement wrt to isolating motor vibration. (And these motors vibrate a lot..)

I'm curious to see what you come up with, I'm always looking for ways to further improve mine. (I have two, the second one is a 124/I)
Old 19th October 2011, 04:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'll let you know how the work progresses. Mine is a TD124-MkII.
I have a new idler wheel and a belt.Hope it will reduce the little rumble I get now. Will post new info as I progress. I will certainly look at the new suspension for the motor. I did feel that it vibrates a lot.
Has anyone used a dc motor in place of the ac motor ?
Cheers.
Old 19th October 2011, 01:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok View Post
I'll let you know how the work progresses. Mine is a TD124-MkII.
I have a new idler wheel and a belt.Hope it will reduce the little rumble I get now. Will post new info as I progress. I will certainly look at the new suspension for the motor. I did feel that it vibrates a lot.
Has anyone used a dc motor in place of the ac motor ?
Cheers.
Since you have a 124/II you already have the better motor mounting arrangement.. I have found that geltec bushing kits sold by jec965 on eBay work quite well if you have not replaced the 45yr old bushings on your table.

No one to my knowledge has used a DC motor with a TD-124, of course that does not mean someone hasn't.. There are compelling reasons I think for not doing so which relate to keeping intact a classic table with specific performance characteristics. The eddy current brake would probably have to be disabled and speed control managed with a servo..

The 3 phase Papst Aussenlaufer motor with a Siemens 3 phase drive like the MM410 or 420 might make for a quieter set up.. I don't have one of these motors and so haven't tried this. The Papst is not quieter than an E50 on single phase power..

A heavy plinth will make this table about as quiet as any of the better current high end tables, and while not quite an SME 20 the noise performance of a properly restored and plinthed (high mass, dissipative type) TD-124 will far exceed that of your records.. (I have plenty where I can quite clearly hear the cutter rumble, some records are almost silent in this regard whilst others are far from it.) Measurements performed by others indicate that an actual improvement in rumble of 15dB or so is attainable.

Note that the condition of your main bearing is important.
Old 19th October 2011, 02:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that great post. My table hasn't been used for years ! Even I haven't beeen able to use it often enough. So the botom plate on which the bearing sits could have a dent in it . This I believe is available on ebay.

But based on what you said I will first get the new plinth made and then proceed with other mods or replacement of parts.

I also have a direct drive Hitachi turntable which is relatively silent as far as rumble is concerned. It has a thick heavy platter. Been debating if I should remount that on to a solid plinth as it's own original plinth is made of MDF. This unit does sound quite nice as it is but doesn't have the resolving capability of better turntables.
Old 19th October 2011, 03:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok View Post
Thanks for that great post. My table hasn't been used for years ! Even I haven't beeen able to use it often enough. So the botom plate on which the bearing sits could have a dent in it . This I believe is available on ebay.

But based on what you said I will first get the new plinth made and then proceed with other mods or replacement of parts.

I also have a direct drive Hitachi turntable which is relatively silent as far as rumble is concerned. It has a thick heavy platter. Been debating if I should remount that on to a solid plinth as it's own original plinth is made of MDF. This unit does sound quite nice as it is but doesn't have the resolving capability of better turntables.
Very important to overhaul the motor and replace the motor mount bushings before going very far.. See the TD-124 thread for more details..
Old 20th October 2011, 11:02 AM   #7
YNWOAN is offline YNWOAN  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I use a system in my turntable that damps lateral movement, but far less vertically.
Old 20th October 2011, 02:38 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

can ellaborate or do you have photo's
sounds very interesting.
from stereo perspective I don't see a reason why vertical and horzontal should be different, as all three axis have influence on what is "read" from the groove

Michiel
Old 20th October 2011, 03:15 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default mediumweight plinth with horizontal damping

Any idea if a medium weight plinth with horizontal damping ( and vertical damping) will be as effective as a very heavy plinth with minimal damping .....for the TD124/II ?
Old 20th October 2011, 06:32 PM   #10
YNWOAN is offline YNWOAN  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

To be honest, your question is too simplistic. Better in what way precisely? What is the resonant frequency of the suspension and what is the weight of the suspended mass, how much damping is there, is it progresive etc. etc.

What I would say is that a high mass plinth, on it's own, provides very little actual isolation.

Last edited by YNWOAN; 20th October 2011 at 06:35 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!