Leader splicing tape - used on both sides? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2003, 02:19 PM   #1
bcherry is offline bcherry  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bcherry
Default Leader splicing tape - used on both sides?

Using 1/4" leader tape as a belt works nicely but after a week or so, the spliced ends of the leader tape slowly creep apart exposing the adhesive on the splicing tape. Is there any way to prevent this or is the splicing tape meant to be used on both sides?
Brian
Old 5th September 2003, 04:06 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I would think the splicing tape should only be used on the outside. Done properly it lasts a long time on R2R tapes.

You could also try one of the plastic bag resealing machines. Some will enable you to get both ends together properly and make a good join.
Old 5th September 2003, 04:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Splicing tape should only be used on the outside of the splice or it intriduces thickness variations and hence noise...

Based on my experience (YMMV). It shouldn't pull apart unless it is the wrong splicing tape for the tape stock or there is too much tension on the belt. The tension should be set for enough to hold the speed steady once the table is turning and a manual kick to the table should be used to set the turntable spinning i.e. if the belt only is used to start the spinning (and you have a massive platter i.e. over about 3Kg ) then there is probably too much tension on the belt...

Hope this helps

James
Old 5th September 2003, 06:36 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Da5id4Vz
Are you using a splicing block? In my experience splices always come out best when using a good machined aluminum jig.

http://arts.ucsc.edu/ems/music/equip...Recorders.html

This link has a little information on it about making a good splice.

-Dave
Old 6th September 2003, 12:24 AM   #5
bcherry is offline bcherry  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bcherry
Default great link

Thanks for the link. I have an aluminum splicing block which was part of a kit that came with a spool of leader tape, splicing tape, hold-down tape and the razor blades, Q-tips etc. I do wonder if I put the splicing tape on the wrong side of the leader. I'll try it the other side and see if there is any difference.
The platter is 40mm thick acrylic with no added mass. I may have had too much tension on the tape.

Brian

Hide this!Advertise here!