Leader splicing tape - used on both sides?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would think the splicing tape should only be used on the outside. Done properly it lasts a long time on R2R tapes.

You could also try one of the plastic bag resealing machines. Some will enable you to get both ends together properly and make a good join.

Splicing tape should only be used on the outside of the splice or it intriduces thickness variations and hence noise...

Based on my experience (YMMV). It shouldn't pull apart unless it is the wrong splicing tape for the tape stock or there is too much tension on the belt. The tension should be set for enough to hold the speed steady once the table is turning and a manual kick to the table should be used to set the turntable spinning i.e. if the belt only is used to start the spinning (and you have a massive platter i.e. over about 3Kg ) then there is probably too much tension on the belt...

Hope this helps

James

great link

Thanks for the link. I have an aluminum splicing block which was part of a kit that came with a spool of leader tape, splicing tape, hold-down tape and the razor blades, Q-tips etc. I do wonder if I put the splicing tape on the wrong side of the leader. I'll try it the other side and see if there is any difference.
The platter is 40mm thick acrylic with no added mass. I may have had too much tension on the tape.

Brian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.