Rega Planar 3 Motor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Rega Planar 3 Turntable Motor

Hello everyone.

This is my first post :)

I'm asking if anyone could help me with one of my belovied Rega's ?

I have two Rega Planar 3 turntables. One I purchased in 1989 and gets used on a daily basis and has never been serviced and runs fine

I purchased another Rega Planar 3 in 2006 second hand. Looking at the serial # I think it could be older than 1989 ?

Anyway a few month back it stopped going round so I gave it my local technician for repair and it works.

Problem is I smelled burning electrics so switched it off. I checked the motor to see if it had any damage. All is OK though the motor was so hot I could not touch it. It still works though I guess it will just get hot again and blow up ?

Ive read you have to service the bearings, is it that or do I need a new motor or something else ?

Thanks

John :)

Last edited:
Rega motor should never be hot (warm to touch after quite some long play) under most operating circumstances. There's one resistor there would be hot to touch.
If there's anything that may go defective after 2 decades, is a capacitor (phase shift)there on the circuit. I would highly recommend to upgrade and fit to the latest Rega motor kit if the Rega is for keeps,otherwise a competent dealer nearest to you may diagnose and solve any problem with it for a small fee.
I think its best to re-check and lube the bearing assembly after many years. You can DIY and relube the bearing/spindle assembly with a wee 2 drops of very ordinary SAE90 or 80W90 gear oil. There's always a little ball bearing at the bottom of the bearing well and be careful not to loose it if you've to dismantle the bearing assembly.
Remove the subplatter, use a magnetised screwdriver to extract the ball, swab clean the bearing pit of old lube, clean out with suitable solvent, surgically clean the spindle. After all done, insert the cleaned ball bearing, lube the spindle in a line from top to bottom then with the plinth tilted, slide in the spindle and let it sit to the bottom by itself, do not turn the subplatter before its fully seated. Done!
Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi John, Old Rega Planar 3's will benefit greatly with the new upgrade motor kit and certain to uplift the performance with trouble free operation for many years more.
Yes, a competent Rega dealer/technician is highly recommended if you're not into DIY.
To know more about the upgrade kit, have a look at the official Rega website.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.