Can you still get ceramic pick ups ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I suspect that was because of tracking forces measured in ounces rather than grams. Or because the compliance matched the pickup arm mass better.

Some of the not-so-cheap USB turntables come with cr@ptastic ceramic cartridges. The Needle Doctor site may stock them; if not, there's bound to be a ton of old stock on eBay. Search for needledaddy1

Ceramic cartridges used typically in mass produced stereo consoles and cheap all in one stereo systems in the 1960s and 1970s were made by companies like Sonotone and Astatic. Many were sold OEM to console manufacturers. You can probaby pull one out of any old console. They used high mass low compliance tonearms in record changers made by manufacurers like Collaro and Glazier Steers, even Garrard. There may still be some available from Parts Express among others.

The output is much too high for a magnetic cartridge input and should not be equalized. It is also too low for typical high level preamp input by a factor of about 5 to 10 and may need additional preamplification depending on how much gain you have. An old preamp with ceramic cartridge inputs should work just fine. You can use its tape outputs or main outputs to feed your existing preamp.

A very good turntable that is relatively immune to external jarring is the original AR Turntable. The models include XA and I think XB. AR was the first to use a subchassis suspended by springs from the main deck plate or plinth. They were susprisingly good although the tonearm was less than impressive. They were also cheap costing only $78 list when they were first introduced. You can probably find them easily on e-bay.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
<snip>

A very good turntable that is relatively immune to external jarring is the original AR Turntable. The models include XA and I think XB. AR was the first to use a subchassis suspended by springs from the main deck plate or plinth. They were susprisingly good although the tonearm was less than impressive. They were also cheap costing only $78 list when they were first introduced. You can probably find them easily on e-bay.

BSR was possibly the most common maker of cheap changers with ceramic cartridges used in US products.
Everyone from Radio Shack to Magnavox and a lot of unmentionables used them..

$58 in the very early 1960's when the AR-XA was first introduced was not really not all that cheap - roughly equivalent to $420 today.. Note also that in the same time frame the Thorens TD-124 was $99 or about $700 today.. The AR of course came sans cartridge but was otherwise ready to go, the TD-124 came sans plinth, arm and cartridge.. The AR-XA arm while ugly was actually quite a decent performer and my first AR-XA rather convincingly clobbered what was a much better looking Japanese DD table with integral arm that I owned at the time.

Today there are plenty of low compliance MM DJ cartridges that track in the 4gm range, any of these should provide the same sort of security in tracking that the old ceramics offered with significantly better overall performance.

Note that there were "crystal" and "ceramic" cartridges and while their electrical characteristics were similar, ceramic types used a man made piezoelectric material lead-zirconium titanate that was stable long term, crystal types used Rochelle salt and their performance deteriorated quite quickly due to atmospheric exposure.. I had both types prior to my first MM types. My recollection is quite limited as I have not used either type since I was in my early teens.. They weren't that good sounding, but I am fortunate they did no serious damage to my records - many of which I still have and play..

Here is an interesting link to some history of the Sonotone ceramic phonograph cartridges: Sonotone Phonograph Cartridge History

Typical ceramic cartridge response just happens to be the exact compliment
of the RIAA recording equalization curve. How convenient!

Hi,

Not strictly true, but they will work quite well into MM RIAA inputs,
and the last of the quality breeds were tuned for RIAA MM inputs.

Often needed 100K instead of 47K loading for RIAA inputs.

Response into > ~ 2M is flat and does not need RIAA.

rgds, sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.