backing up vinyl records?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You should get a good data rate with USB2 or 3.
A lot depends on the A2D they use for bit resolution.

A large part of the problem is the table itself. I have heard excellent captures made with excellent hardware and terrible captures made with inexpensive things sold by respected firms. I'd rather play the vinyl though.. :D

got a budget of $100 for now... i have a decent enough soundcard i could use a line in with the RCA jackers to record the audio from the player.. so im not too worried and dont really care to have USB... seems to me the player would digitize the music before playing it.. if not, its still a feature i dont need

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
got a budget of $100 for now... <snip>

Save, save, save! It's what I do, you'll feel better long term the less money you have to spend over again even if it means waiting.

I saved for four months to get my Schick arm.. :D

Be open to scouting Craigslist, yard sales, the street on trash day, and flea markets. Some amazing things turn up cheap. A friend of mine purchased an early Garrard 301 for $20 at a flea market last year..

i will save, but i need something for now... i checked out some of the record players listed before... seems $200-$500 is about the price range for a good used one, i wont be able to afford that until this spring.. ill probably buy the audio technica for now, and i can give it to a family member later

Originally Posted by stratus46
What software do you use for that? I use Audition 3 (only because I've been upgrading since CoolEdit 96). The noise reduction can be pretty impressive when taking a 'noise profile' and applying it to the whole file. For that you'd need at least an 8th of a second with no audio, just the noise. Obviously that's easy from an LP. Somewhere I saw some wow and flutter software but at $4500 I'll pass but I have some material I'd like to try it with.
I use Goldwave, as I have for over a decade now. Impressive capabilities also. Wow and flutter hasn't given me any problems, but I do know there are specific programs out there for different tasks. Pop/click algorithms tend to play havoc with trumpets and such; that's where a person really needs to stay tuned in to changes made.
Rubble filter? (sorry)
Named for that great audio pioneer, Barney Rubble. No wait... I meant rumble filter.
Originally Posted by kevinkr
I'm happy to provide pointers as I basically live for vinyl in a hobby sense.
Oh, you're one of those...;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.