diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Analogue Source (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/)
-   -   Vinyl Flat Record Flattener (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/195861-vinyl-flat-record-flattener.html)

tiefbassuebertr 3rd September 2011 09:01 AM

Vinyl Flat Record Flattener

About
Vinyl Flat Home
I discover by chance an equipment to make maintenance and service by old vinyl records, especially if they are in a bent and warped condition.

Are there already experiences ??
Thank you for your comments.

kevinkr 4th September 2011 12:22 AM

It's been the subject of avid discussion in our local audiophile club, but as yet no one I know has bought one. I can't see why it wouldn't work assuming time and sufficient rigidity.

I may ask for one for Christmas.. :santa:

Ron E 4th September 2011 05:47 AM

seems like a couple flat plates and some bricks would do the same thing. Use something slightly resilient between record and plate. Start with a little weight and experiment?

kevinkr 4th September 2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron E (Post 2697066)
seems like a couple flat plates and some bricks would do the same thing. Use something slightly resilient between record and plate. Start with a little weight and experiment?

More or less what I have been doing for decades with mixed success. This device seems more elegant but no doubt no more effective. Storing a lot of bricks in my listening room is a big problem though.. :D

Ron E 4th September 2011 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinkr (Post 2697428)
More or less what I have been doing for decades with mixed success. This device seems more elegant but no doubt no more effective. Storing a lot of bricks in my listening room is a big problem though.. :D

so use books ;) I bet a little gentle heat would also do wonders. heat the plates to ~140F, put a towel or two over them to insulate before loading on the books...

Pano 4th September 2011 04:59 PM

Can I do this in my waffle iron?

Ron E 4th September 2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pano (Post 2697451)
Can I do this in my waffle iron?

You'd have to rig up some sort of rheostat to reduce the temp, but if it is large enough and has removable plates, I bet it would work better than you imagine ;)

h_a 4th September 2011 05:10 PM

I knew a gent who actually had one; from what I remember about the discussions with him, he recommends thoroughly cleaning the records before flattening as otherwise dust would be pressed into the records.

I think his experience was essentially that for slightly warped records it was working fine, for more extreme cases multiple tries were needed.

However, looking at the link, his machine was a much more sophisticated unit.

Hannes

kevinkr 4th September 2011 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron E (Post 2697450)
so use books ;) I bet a little gentle heat would also do wonders. heat the plates to ~140F, put a towel or two over them to insulate before loading on the books...

I've done the heating thing and I don't recommend it as the vinyl may deform - I pre-heated my oven to 140 degrees and shut it off before placing the record in the oven on a flat cookie sheet in a paper liner.. Upon removal from the oven I then pressed the record, and managed to audibly distort the grooves nearest the outer edge of the record in one particular spot. This record is still playable but I will never again apply heat to a record I value.

Most of the books I have are not nearly heavy enough from experience.. I find it takes something in excess of 50lbs evenly applied across the entire record surface to do any good at all.

Ron E 5th September 2011 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinkr (Post 2697786)
I've done the heating thing and I don't recommend it as the vinyl may deform.

Most of the books I have are not nearly heavy enough from experience.. I find it takes something in excess of 50lbs evenly applied across the entire record surface to do any good at all.

Fair enough, try 100-120F. Obviously experimenting on a record you value is not the way to develop a process. Use some c-clamps with big washers, and a small bolt through the hole, tightened with a torque wrench of course. ;)