Vinyl Flat Record Flattener

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Using bricks and books would give unreliable and uneven heating.

I would experiment with a couple of reasonably thick, flat aluminium sheets. Aluminium has a relatively low thermal mass, which is desirable for the job. Its excellent heat conductivity will give it even heating. A square sheet would do just fine. I would drill a hole in each corner, and secure it with a bolt and a wing nut, and possibly some washers. The full sheet should be exposed to the warm air in the oven for even heating without part of it being covered with weights.

The most important element is to get yourself a decent oven thermometer. Start with a low temperature, and work your way up. Take your time. Do several trials. Your results should be easily as good as purchasing the commercially made plates.

I think using glass in not a good idea, as glass is not that good a heat conductor.

Last edited:
Yes, a friend/ work collegue bought a Furutech unit back in December and it does actually what I thought it would do on badly warped records - the pitch does change! This is as I thought. The warped vinyl (now already longer) is heated and compressed to get it flat. Great that it is now flat but it does nothing for the timing. It is cheaper to buy a replacement LP - at ebay prices it has to be cheaper than investing in a vinyl heater.

Imagine doing this:

Getting a
1. perfect vinyl strobe disc
2. introducing a warp
3. Heat it up and flatten it.
4. measure the new timing

1 and 4 will NEVER be the same as the distortion introduced in 2 has stretched the vinyl and therefore space between strobe lines.

The Furutech is good if all you want to do is flatten your records and don't mind messing with the timing, but there's nothing like a nice piece of flat vinyl.

rob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.