diy turntable project... advice needed - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st August 2011, 05:35 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

also.. im wondering if any of you know of a good sub-$100 record player that has good audio quality, and could be fun to maybe tweak around with in the future?
Old 1st September 2011, 03:54 PM   #12
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimusDivinus View Post
also.. im wondering if any of you know of a good sub-$100 record player that has good audio quality, and could be fun to maybe tweak around with in the future?
New? none

Used? The sky's the limit as there are real deals out there and sometimes even free. My last three turntables were "very inexpensive" even by the standards of The World's Foremost Cheap-O-Phile (or anyone else).
One of those "SOTA" turntables was passed on to a friend for the same amount that it had cost me (far less than sending a postcard across town).

You should compile a list of desirable TT's and then have it with you at all times. Many excellent TT's are not well known outside of experienced Vinyl enthusiasts, but would serve you well for many years to come.

Good Luck on your quest!

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 1st September 2011, 04:20 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

well a list would be nice, but with limited knowledge on them it would be difficult to compile such a list... ill check out some local thrift stores for something from the 70s to play with while i build one of my own
Old 1st September 2011, 04:30 PM   #14
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Check out Vinylengine here: Vinyl Engine | The Home of the Turntable - a huge resource for turntable and analog related stuff in general.

I'd look for old AR-XA, AR-XB, and later EB.

Some of the Technics 1200 series DD tables are quite good as well.

Thorens TD-125, 125, 160, 166 are all tables to keep any eye out for..

Kenwood made some nice direct drives..
Old 1st September 2011, 05:31 PM   #15
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

I agree with Kevin , but with vinyl resurgence lately, all of the mentioned models will cost you more than $100 I'm afraid. Even Craigslist and garage sales folks caught up with the frenzy ;0). Around $200 you could buy Rega P2 also I have a nice memories of Dual table which actualy got me hooked on LP's Don'tget too concerned with DIY-everything only for sake of doing it yourself.
Old 1st September 2011, 08:05 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

You've had some excellent suggestions offered aready, but don't overlook the better Sony models, the Empires (very good!) or even some of the high-end brands that often get passed over because people don't recognize the brand name.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 1st September 2011, 10:38 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

You might want look at this for ideas. The Altmann DIY Turntable. Carbon fiber arrow shafts have been used in some DIY tonearms I have seen posted on the web. Fishing poles are made to be flexible,. you want a tonearm to be rigid.

Also you might want to look at finding a old classic turntable for your motor,bearing, and platter. Often people take the guts of a classic turntable and build a new plinth for it. A well built DIY plinth can vastly improve the sound of these classics. Then with that new plinth you have the option of mounting almost any tonearm you want, whether it be manufactured or DIY.

This web site gives good example of how people have modded Lenco turntables into there own custom table. Lenco's are hard to come by, but a lot of what they are doing with plinth building can be done to almost any decent classic table. http://www.lencoheaven.net/
Old 2nd September 2011, 11:29 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

would it be at all possible to make a laser turntable that used a laser to read the music in the grooves of the record rather than a stylus?... i know some companies charge a lot for players like that.. but im sure theres a diy way to do it somewhere, i made a laser guitar pickup before... and your records would never wear from being played
Old 2nd September 2011, 11:44 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimusDivinus View Post
would it be at all possible to make a laser turntable that used a laser to read the music in the grooves of the record rather than a stylus?... i know some companies charge a lot for players like that.. but im sure theres a diy way to do it somewhere, i made a laser guitar pickup before... and your records would never wear from being played
Great Idea!
I'd say go for it. I'm sure many will be closely following your progress, as I will.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 2nd September 2011, 11:46 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

reading about some diy laser projects.. it appears records can be played with a laser stylus using a laser pointed at an angle into the groove of the record, and received by a photodiode.. the reflection modulates with the groove which causes the diode to give off a given electrical signal based on it... this works EXACTLY like my laser guitar pickup.... hmm, im going to toy with this idea more.. buy a cheap garage sale or thrift store record player and build my own tonearm with a laser cartridge in it for playing my music via a laser... this should be fun to play with

Hide this!Advertise here!