diy turntable project... advice needed - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2011, 05:26 PM   #131
diyAudio Member

i went to a thrift store and got a cheap POS turntable for $9 just to play with... its nothing im going to keep or play my good records on, but just a toy i can throw away if need be... platter for it isnt even full size and i doubt the platters bearing is useful either

but anyway, i got an idea of building the table from hardwood painted like a red or blue color.. a light maple colored wooden platter, i will route out a cavity for the switches, potentiometer, and electronics to mount into.. however, i will cover it with a white plastic cover made out of the material like a pickguard on a fender strat is... the toggle switch will be that of one used on a stratocaster guitar, as well as the pots and knobs.. also, im thinking of using the output jack deep dish plates to connect the speakers :-D

in all, its going to have many of the design features of a stratocaster guitar.. but still be my phonograph ...

now what would be REALLY cool is if i could design my tonearm to look like a whammy bar
Old 18th September 2011, 12:51 AM   #132
tade is offline tade  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to tade
Thats a pretty cool idea i think!
Old 28th September 2011, 06:30 PM   #133
diyAudio Member

I thought I should share pics of the turntable I built just to show how simply it can be done. I started with a pioneer belt drive TT I bought off of some guy from craigslist. I just screwed/bolted/glued the relevant parts to a big chunk of oak. I did it in my kitchen. Antiskate/tracking/downforce I'm sure were all horrible. But not having any resonances from a cheap turntable body and tonearm produced really great sound.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF9872.jpg (55.6 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg tonearm20.jpg (17.1 KB, 104 views)
Old 28th September 2011, 06:43 PM   #134
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Old 28th September 2011, 06:57 PM   #135
diyAudio Member

I know right! XD plus a hack job will get you listening!

Partial materials list:
Hot glue
Two part epoxy
a lag bolt
wallpaper tape
lots of elmers glue
drywall screws
And a liberal helping of "good enough"

As a matter of fact, I may have been listening to "good enough" by van halen. hmmmmmmm

Hide this!Advertise here!