Entry Level Turntables: Any Suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Technics Model SL-1400MK2 - $150

If that TT is very clean and works 100%, then that's a very good price. How can you go wrong with that?

The SL-1400MK2 was basically a semi-auto SL-1200MK2 with a bit lighter construction and digital LED readout of rotation speed. It was simplified electronically from the 1200, with some IC's made for Matsushita instead of discrete transistors and lots of wiring (at least according to Technics SL-1500MK2, SL-1400MK2 & SL-1300MK2 on TVK).

KAB Electro Acoustics sells some upgrades and tweaks for the SL-1200MK2 that should also work for similar Technics tables. I put my 1200 on a "stand" made of a low end table with a slab of sandstone on top of it, with four Audioquest sorbothane feet I had lying around between the table top and the sandstone slab, and then replaced the 1200's stock feet with KAB's Sonic Domes ($30). I get no disruptions from footfalls or sound from the speakers, even on my room's not-so-solid wood floor.

I am definitely not stating that the 1200 is a "great" turntable. I don't think it's worth much more than $250 used, really. Its price is inflated by its DJ's "Wheel of Steel" status. But at $450 new, it was the best around, and I like the direct-drive sound (can't stop the beat!). It's also a proven durable design -- obviously, because so many of them have stood up to the abuse of DJ work.

I'd say that if you could find a Rega or a good Thorens TD-160 for $250 or so, then that would be great, especially if you prefer belt drives. But that 1400 for $150? And it's local? That's a deal if it's in good condition with no problems.

--

EDIT TO ADD: Beware Ebay. I talked a friend of mine into looking for and buying an SL-1300 for cheap. Of course he found that it won't stay on speed, even after cleaning all the pots and replacing PSU capacitors. I got a really nice looking Sony PS-X5, but it of course has the classic problem where the tonearm won't go in more than just past the beginning of the record before picking up and returning to the tonearm rest, and the motor shuts off (automatic auto-shutdown). On the other hand, I found a guy on craigslist who had an SL1200 that had been thoroughly abused, with a destroyed tonearm and plaster dust all over. I cleaned out the dust from under the platter and spun it up, and of course it locked right onto speed. I should have offered him $75 and taken it. I could have put some arm or another on later. The moral of the story is that you can't test a turntable on Ebay, but you can test it if it's local. My $0.02 is "Buy Local."

--

Last edited:
The original AR has the worst most awful arm anyone could make... my 2 cents. Ick.

I'll take the SL-1200 and put some home made isolation under it and do it for very little $$.
Like a box of sand?

The suspension on the AR was just springs, like the Linn for that matter... cheese.

Otoh, you can upgrade and mod it, but then it's not an AR, just an AR chassis and a lot of work...

There are better TTs out there... including some other Japanese brands...

If it's a starter system, I'd say "If it looks good, it is good"? You can usually tell build quality by looking... if it stays on speed, then it's likely good enough to get going.

Just my opinion(s). Ymmv...

_-_-

Just springs Huh ....:rolleyes:..............:whip:

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
sounds like you are on to a new thread called how to build your own high end turntable

but sure thing, a turntable is a modders paradise, and nightmare

I would put more weight on a good riia/phono amp
it has always been a weak point
maybe its easier today
I don't know

Hi,

If you decide to go with the AR turntable(I don't think you'll be disappointed).

I did a basic rebuild on a AR XA a couple of years ago and was very happy with the results.

I put together a quick web page on the rebuilding process so if your interested in getting a AR XA and fixing it up a bit it might help you out a bit.

You can see the link in my signature if your interested.

Good luck with what ever you decide on. Spinning vinyl is the way to go.:)

John

Hi,

If you decide to go with the AR turntable(I don't think you'll be disappointed).

I did a basic rebuild on a AR XA a couple of years ago and was very happy with the results.

Good luck with what ever you decide on. Spinning vinyl is the way to go.:)

John

i second this all.

you can put some time and effort into this table and leave it stock and it will sound great, if its not shot from the start.
as time, knowlage and money permits you have a nice foundation to build a giant killer.

what im saying is this......
if you decide on a arxa, you will have a (imo) mid level table stock, that is simple, easy to learn on and has the potental to grow with you for years.
and by grow i mean competing, perhaps besting tables in 1k$ range as mods are done.

if i might be so bold as to sujest...asking member: bamorrin
his knowlage on this table is somthing i relied on heavly durring my ar adventure.
there are things that you can do very cheaply (sub 100$) to make even a stock one sing and marc has forgot more about these than i will ever know.

The AR table can be brought to mad performance for a lot less cash than many would think and that sprung suspension works Bear , it will best a SL1200 every day of the week ..

Of course due to age it will have to gone thru and it doesn't have to be an AX , the later ones are well worth the effort..

:drink:

I have gotten exceptional life and performance from a Benjamin Miracord turntable I purchased in the early seventies. Total maintenance has been cleaning drive idler and once turning a new delrin main bearing race to cure an oops of hard dropping platter in place and divoting the original... inducing rumble fron the little ball bearings riding over the divots. Easy cure if you possess or have a friend with a lathe. Anyway, turntable is still going strong today. I have occasionally seen them pop up on ebay.
Doc

good for you. i was hoping you would try a AR.

i would suggest some light reading..........

Turntable Forum :: View Forum - acoustic research forum

AR Turntable Vinyl Nirvana Acoustic Research Merrill Thorens For Sale

don't take these as you have to mod this thing to get it great. just good info.
first thing you need to do is make sure the bearing wells are clean and well lubed.
this is going to involve moving stuff around the arm (platter/sub platter etc) so please protect the arm and head-shell.
some alcohol and lint free swabs in the wells will clean out old oil and dirt. in the bottom of the platter well is a derlin plate that might come out, don't loose it. also the arm well has a ball in it, don't lose it.
Dave @ vinyl nirvana has some videos on how to.

i would do those things after i ordered a new belt from Dave (he has the right size),and while waiting, after setup i would spin some vinyl.

after a bit of the newness wares off, and you have a baseline to judge improvements, the next step would be try taking off the bottom board. some like the change some don't.
when funds allow, and if you like the sure thats in there, i highly recomend the Shure M97xE
then there are other mods i would go with that are under 100$
step at a time and youll love it.

heres mine after some mods i got the idea from a guy on V.E.

old pic i have added feet badge and mods underneath.

100_4927.JPG

yell at me if you need some help. ill try if i know what to do

If the AR turntable came with a Grado cartridge you might want to think of trading it for a different one. Grado's are excellent carts BTW, but the problem is that in AR TTs they have a documented history of Humming.

Otherwise, the AR is an excellent choice and can be taken as far as you might wish. I might add that I have one myself.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.