Entry Level Turntables: Any Suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase a turntable and I was wondering if you had any opinions or suggestions for me.

I'm looking to spend between $100-$200 (I wasn't kidding about entry level... sorry!), and I know my choices are both limited and probably hated around these parts. That being said, anything you can offer to give me the most bang for the buck would be greatly appreciated.

So, the bottom line: If you can suggest a specific brand/model, or simply let me know what to look out for in the wide field of candidates I'll be sifting through, I'll love you for slightly less than forever.

Thanks again!

A manual belt drive turntable is usually a safe bet. Like the AR, although the arm may not be suited to high-compliance cartridges. It's not that difficult to DIY a low-mass, low-friction pickup arm using hand tools, but it might be saner to buy an aftermarket arm and adapt it.

The Connoisseur belt-drive table had a reputation for good value; never owned one, but did spot one at Value Village. Don't pass up a reasonable direct drive turntable for a good price; if you don't like it, you can probably sell it on to a wannabe DJ since they usually have pitch control. And if you regularly listen to 45 rpm discs, the ease of changing speed is seductive. Some can be readily modified to run at 78 rpm; Popular Electronics did an article, and it's discussed at Audiokarma.

Try local stores that sell used records; they often carry refurbished turntables. Be incredibly wary of buying a turntable off eBay unless you can pick it up in person: Unless it's a professional dealer, or in the factory packaging, there's a big risk you'll receive a box of junk.

Look up " Goldring Lenco GL75
You can probably still get one of these at a good price.
Bombproof design as long as the motor is running.
Main bearing is very simple & usually only needs cleaning.
Idler drive wheel can go hard or distort but replacements avaliable.
Arm best replaced with a DIY unipivot or whatever budget will allow.
Best feature If you want to LISTEN to music it will sound great.
BUT
If all you want to do is measure & test with scopes & Strobes Etc then best left alone

Judge quality with your ears not instruments or simulators.

Aha!

Quality stuff, guys!

Well, I found an AR online for ~$110 or so. I'm not familiar with their turntables, but EVERYONE knows Acoustic Research.

I also found a Technics SL 1200 MK2 locally that I might be able to swing for ~$200.

Given the choice between the two, which would you go for, and why?

The ultimate goal is audio quality, but I'm not afraid to DIY a thing or two.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I'd pick the AR and put a new arm on it.

dave

+1 :)

I don't know if putting a new arm on is a beginners thing
but could be done later on, with more experience
original arm works too

there was a very nice bigger AR for sale here a few days ago
but cost a bit more
and without arm

but be aware that some can be in poor condition, worn out, or ruined by abuse
and others may be like new

Very cool. Any idea of what an AR should go for? I have no idea what it's worth, and I don't want to be taken for a ride. The sale ad says there is a cartridge in it but is missing the needle, and the belt may need to be replaced.

Normally, I would have no problem researching this all on my own (which is half the fun!), but the sale ends tonight.

Well, I found an AR online for ~$110 or so. I'm not familiar with their turntables, but EVERYONE knows Acoustic Research.

I also found a Technics SL 1200 MK2 locally that I might be able to swing for ~$200.

This is a question that has come up before...
Better turntable deal: AR-XA($200) or Technics SL-1200mk5($250)(both in great cond.)?

My opinion (FWIW):

$200 for a clean SL-1200mk2 is a very good deal. Since it's local, you'll be able to check it out carefully. If you're interested in the SL-1200, make sure it is in good condition and wasn't abused by a DJ. The tonearm should move smoothly, with no friction. Try spinning the platter with the power off. The platter should spin absolutely smoothly, with no hint of friction or binding. Power it up and make sure it spins at the correct speed with absolutely no deviation. Make sure the strobe light works and the little push-down lamp lights up. Make sure the switches and the speed control slider all work smoothly. The platter rotation speed should be absolutely dead on when the slider is in its center-detent position. The unit should be clean looking, free of stickers, scratches, dents, etc.

I had an AR-XA (cleaned and lubed it myself, following instructions from Van Alstine) that I let go of years ago, and now I have a Technics SL-1200mk2 I bought new about 3 years ago, for about $475. (They went up to over $700 before production ceased.)

For sound, I think the cartridge you choose needs to be well matched to the tonearm, and well installed, aligned, etc. Either one can make very good sound.

I use a Denon DL110 cartridge on my SL1200 and like the combination very much. That would be a very cheap setup for you, less than $350 if you can get the SL1200 for $200.

For ease of use, etc. the Technics wins by a landslide.

For looks, I have to say I like the classic AR-Xa. But my recollection of its sound was that it was just OK. I remember the harman-kardon T60C was a step up when I got that. I don't think the T60C was a better 'table than the SL1200, though...

Rega P2 or similar would be a great starter 'table too. I remember when Rega 'tables came out. They were cheap and good. I should have bought one back in the late '80s.

--

Whoa... not sure how you knew about the B&O... but it's on craigslist right now, with a few others.

Technics Quartz Direct Drive Automatic Turntable Model SL-Q2 - $150

Technics Model SL-1400MK2 - $150

BANG & OLUFSEN BEOGRAM 1700 TURNTABLE - $85

Newmark TT200 Turntable - $60 (Clearly a DJ's unit, but it's cheap... and so am I)

Is the 1200 still the best bet?

Quality stuff, guys!

Given the choice between the two, which would you go for, and why?

The ultimate goal is audio quality, but I'm not afraid to DIY a thing or two.

Very cool. Any idea of what an AR should go for? I have no idea what it's worth, and I don't want to be taken for a ride. The sale ad says there is a cartridge in it but is missing the needle, and the belt may need to be replaced.

Normally, I would have no problem researching this all on my own (which is half the fun!), but the sale ends tonight.

AR, better isolation and hence better bass than the sl1200. will require new belts an a relube, if the arm bearings are not worn the stock arm will work fine with an realignment ...

If you are not the diy type and want to just have a TT then go with the sl1200...

I think that the AR is pretty good. There have been a few people that have replaced the arm wand with a cut-off from another TT when the original headshell broke. I can't remember if it was the Vinyl Engine or Audio Karma site, but several people have done it and it allows you to change the headshell/cartridge combo pretty quickly.
If you get an AR with a good original headshell, it can be sold on fleabay and might cover the entire cost of the modification indicated above.

Best Regards,
TerryO

The original AR has the worst most awful arm anyone could make... my 2 cents. Ick.

I'll take the SL-1200 and put some home made isolation under it and do it for very little $$.
Like a box of sand?

The suspension on the AR was just springs, like the Linn for that matter... cheese.

Otoh, you can upgrade and mod it, but then it's not an AR, just an AR chassis and a lot of work...

There are better TTs out there... including some other Japanese brands...

If it's a starter system, I'd say "If it looks good, it is good"? You can usually tell build quality by looking... if it stays on speed, then it's likely good enough to get going.

Just my opinion(s). Ymmv...

_-_-

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.