JG´s Nobrainer and Nobrainer Discrete

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Today I finished second channel..... listening to the amp at 150mA now.

Completely different from previous build, much more airy and detailed. Bass is still present but not overwhelming. There is a noticeable improvement in attack and mid freq presentation..... more of this latter.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I will not dare to contradict you, but I used opamps before (mainly as preamps) and when I replaced those by buffers like the pedja buffer or now the incomparable dcb1, I get the idea these opamps (even the LME metal can) are no match for a simple discrete circuit.... maybe the feedback is killing the magic :)

Attachments

• JG Nobrainer 17 (144db OpAmp Amp Sample).PNG
    JG Nobrainer 17 (144db OpAmp Amp Sample).PNG
    94.3 KB · Views: 250
Joined 2006
Paid Member
As I posted before, I am really pleased with the outcome. IMO the most important modd was reducing miller cap. This way freq response became much more linear and extended in the highs.

Although it sports low gain, it can confortably be used with a 1:1 preamp with my sensitive 4ohm speakers.

Very low noise it conveys an agreeable soundstage free of fatigue inducing gremlins.
Bass is somehow less well controlled in comparison with my modded 103 and the highs are also less extended so the stage is not so large but I can not point any big flaws. Quite good for a very low power amp with such simple but genial schematic.

I am preparing myself to move to a bigger house and I will use it in my lab as bench amp.
Now I need to build some dedicated speakers.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
There is life beyound the B1.

I think he wrote DCB1 which is the DC coupled version with Salas shunt regs. A different animal that sounds better than the original B1. Not many buffers sound so well with only 2 JFETs per channel. As I have one myself I compared it to quite some preamps and till now no opamp based preamp was a match for it.

But you are are right in a way, there is life beyond any electronic device.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.