Experienced people opinion needed about tonearm wiring, which one to choose? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2011, 03:12 AM   #1
Account disabled at member's request

Default Experienced people opinion needed about tonearm wiring, which one to choose?

I see tons and tons of information, but I can only trust people who have used different tonearm wires (diy and commercial). Their is so much contradiction over the subject that it's getting a bit out of control.

I have experience the "difference" in cables, so no need to tell me their is no difference, their is for me.

I know the really pricey options like van den hull, but want to know if people have tried different cheap wires for their tonearm and TT cables as well and can confirm to pick this brand over the other...

thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 01:08 PM   #2
lowpoke is offline lowpoke  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to lowpoke
I just bought some copper litz tonearm wire from Vic at Trans-Fi Audio. It consists of 30 strands of .04mm copper wrapped in silk thread. He sells a rewire kit for (wire, tags, heat shrink and solder) on ebay very inexpensively (about $10).
I'm very pleased with the results on my Decca FFSS arm.
Old 22nd July 2011, 10:17 PM   #3
Account disabled at member's request

Come on guys!, there's no information whatsoever in here...
Old 22nd July 2011, 10:37 PM   #4
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I use mcs150 van den Hul. With Silver the sound is cleaner then with copper. Silver tone arm wiring is ok, but then it is better to stop using silver because you will loose warmth in the sound.
Old 22nd July 2011, 11:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post
Come on guys!, there's no information whatsoever in here...
So what sort of information are you actually after?
Like " ...when I changed from 30 strands of .05mm to 30 strands of .04mm copper wire the string section on orchestral tracks really started to 'speak' to me?"
Old 22nd July 2011, 11:14 PM   #6
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi murphythecat8,
You're probably a lot further ahead to not touch the wiring in your tonearm if it's a good arm. If it's a cheap arm, why bother?

Honestly, setting up your cartridge properly is way more important than worrying about what wire is used to connect the cartridge to the terminal PCB. The most important things are that it's flexible and run properly. No defects are a given here.

Before people freak out, consider what the wiring eventually connects to. Copper on PCB, or copper in the leads from the jacks. Look at the big picture people.

-Chris
Old 23rd July 2011, 12:10 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatech View Post
Hi murphythecat8,
You're probably a lot further ahead to not touch the wiring in your tonearm if it's a good arm. If it's a cheap arm, why bother?

Honestly, setting up your cartridge properly is way more important than worrying about what wire is used to connect the cartridge to the terminal PCB. The most important things are that it's flexible and run properly. No defects are a given here.

Before people freak out, consider what the wiring eventually connects to. Copper on PCB, or copper in the leads from the jacks. Look at the big picture people.

-Chris
Words of wisdom. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Silver wire in tone arms only works great if suspended on blocks of myrthle wood anyways.
Old 23rd July 2011, 12:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post
Silver wire in tone arms only works great if suspended on blocks of myrthle wood anyways.
Old 23rd July 2011, 01:58 PM   #9
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I was also critical about the sound difference of cables.

The most simple way to find out is to try it. about then year ago I made a preamp and active two way backloaded horn.

preamp internal wire silver and silver solder. silver carbon interlink to the active loudspeaker there also silver to the speaker.

The sound was very bright and transparent only on the other side the low frequency was poor to my taste no warmth. There is a huge influence of the way you wire equipment and with what kind of material/parts you use.

So I am aware that the puzzle is complex, not only circuit is leading every capacitor wire and resistor and coil has its own sound. Because there are no ideal wires coils resistors and capacitors.

The people how make fun of this are at the first step of the ladder to wards knowledge about building equipment. Every one have to start somewhere.
Old 23rd July 2011, 02:04 PM   #10
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

^^^^+10 ... not all listen , hence the ignorance Helmuth ....

I have friends who swear by silver , they use it everywhere and i'm in agreement with you , sound is bright and hard sounding with no soul. Instead i use copper, if running silver for tweeter section only, it pulls up the bass IMO and at it's worst with SS, less so with Tubes. The Op did not state what type of cartridge , this will be crititcal here too, MC or MM ..?

Regards,

Last edited by a.wayne; 23rd July 2011 at 02:10 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!