Turntable cables and internal Tonearm rewiring. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2011, 06:58 PM   #1
Account disabled at member's request

Default Turntable cables and internal Tonearm rewiring.

hi, I'm looking for upgrading the wires in my tonearm (stock sl-1200).

Their are so many options and so expensive!

First of all, rca plugs and interconnects going from my tonearm to my phono!
1-I mean should I really spend 60$ for set of plugs? The eichmann seems good value for 60$ Eichmann Bullet, Furutech, and WBT NextGen
or
2- their is all-in-one options like those Nordost : Products : Tonearm Cables or Silver Series C4 Tonearm, or canare which offer the plugs and cable. Please note that I don't have 500$ to put on the nordost product, I want the cheaper, no non-sense priced cable

Which option should I choose, please recommend me cheaper alternatives and your experience.

I'm not looking for the ultimate sound with no money barrier, rather the best-bang for the buck option.

Tonearm wiring:
From van den hull to mouse wires and everything in between, what do you recommend for a good budget tonearm wiring. If it's worth it, I would go with vandenhull price, but I'm sure theirs cheaper options...

Thank you

Last edited by murphythecat8; 19th July 2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 20th July 2011, 09:34 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Neutrik rca's at $5-6 / pair are excellent.
Cardas 4x33awg for tonearm,inside & outside.With this you can also make some nice headshell wires.
Old 20th July 2011, 10:37 AM   #3
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

price-performance-wise Id opt for a very flexible stranded HF-litz copper wire. I got mine as free sample (well, it took one call and one email to the manufacturer, who also offers silver HF-Litz), but You can get such wire for a few bucks on ebay too. I chose 10x0,05mm/AWG44, grade1, silk spun. Ill twist the two wires of each stereo channel to reduce noise pickup and run each channel thorugh a drinking straw. As connectors to the pickup Ill use female D-Sub crimping contacts FK20SL from FCT electronic, but You may slaughter any old female Sub-D for contacts.
Symmetrical output connectors will be the Fisher S102 and WBT234 for RCA (simply because of having a couple of them lying around). A more classical XLR-style connector from Neutrik et al will do the job as well.
I can honestly not recommend one of the mentioned boutique RCA-connectors, because the mechanical quality and the finish of those can be terribly -to ridicolously- low and I dont see any justification for their exaggerated price tags.
I keep the tonearm wire short, since its crossectional area is 0,02mm small and as such its impedance is somewhere in the range of 0,8-1,0 Ohm/m. Playing low output MC cartridges a too high impedance will lead to increased signal loss.

jauu
Calvin

Last edited by Calvin; 20th July 2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 20th July 2011, 01:12 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Suitable tonearm cable you can buy for the (ridiculously low) price is from this guy:
transfiaudio items - Get great deals on items on eBay Stores!
Unlike other tiny shielded wires, this one is easy to work with.

Same source also offers cartridge clips.

For cable you might use two VAN DAMME - 268026C starquad cables - one for each channel - just wire two white conductors together for signal and two blue together for ground. Or use smaller diameter Van Damme two-conductor+shield cable. Or you can cook any cable you prefer.

For RCA connectors, there is safe and great choice - neutrik NF2C-B/2 connectors.

Connect shield of the cable inside tt to GND post or lug - if it has one, or hardwire any insulated wire to shield and run it to the GND post of phono preamp. Do not connect shield of the cable to anything else.

Hide this!Advertise here!