Pioneer Turntable Model PL-512

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi...I hope whoever reads this will bare with me.

I just purchased a Pioneer Turntable Model PL-512 for a friend's birthday that's coming up. The reason for this purchase is because my friend collects records (esp. Janis Joplin), however has never been able to listen to any of them. So I am taking it upon myself to supply her with the source that she is lacking...what I thought was just a simple record player. But now after searching through the different forums and reading all the different postings I feel like an idiot because I know nothing. I will say that I am now interested in learning, however right now I need one simple question answered. How do I hook it up to speakers? I know everyone's probably laughing right now and rightly so because I do feel very stupid. But this is the only place that I have found on the internet that looked promising for help. So please help me figure this out so I don't ruin this birthday present that I was so proud of to begin with.

Thanks.
Mag-Py

Mag-py,

Cool idea for a gift.
I know nothing about this specific TT, except it's a budget belt drive, but all of them have a couple of things in common. The signal from the cartridge (aka needle or stylus) will only be very small, say 5mV (5 one-thousandths of a volt) or about 400x less than a CD player puts out. The signal also has a special equalisation built into it called the RIAA curve which compensates for some of the technical difficulties in recording sound onto vinyl.

The point of this little technical lesson is, that the amplifier you plug the TT into will need a "Phono" input or it won't work. Because almost all music sold now is on seedee, most amplifiers built after about 1990 don't have a phono input. What you'll need to do is take a look at her stereo / amplifier and see if the selector switch has a "phono" input, and if you can check on the back panel to see if there are a pair of connectors marked phono. If it does, you're OK. If it doesn't, you need a seperate little amplifier to boost the signal from the TT and apply the RIAA correction. Radio Shack sell one for about $20 but I forget what it's called.

Lets assume that your friend has a suitable amplifier. The cartridge, the device at the end of the arm that contacts the LP and picks up the signal needs to be in good condition and correctly aligned. If you don't know the condition of the cartridge, you either need to get it checked or replace it. A poor condition cart, and/or one badly set up will actually damage your friend's LPs, which isn't good.

Post again describing any marking or branding on the cartridge, as the stylus may be replaceable. Then we'll worry about alignment and other details. A pic would be good too.

Ideally there's someone in your area that would be willing to spend the hour or so it takes to set up the TT properly for you. It takes a bit of experience to do it properly and is hard to do over the net. ;)

Turntables aren't a plug and play item like CD players.

HTH and ask for clarification if what I've said isn't clear to you.

Hey Guys...Thanks for all the help, and not laughing at me.

I spent an hour at Hi-Fi Buys last night with one of the workers who knew a lot about this sort of thing. It turns out she does have the "phono" selection on her receiver (I hope I'm using the right terminology) and I was showed how to hook up the TT. I did however have to buy a new cartritdge (the thing that houses the needle right?) but it wasn't too expensive. So, pretty much everything worked out o.k. and I even got home last night, hooked it up, and listened to one of my LP's. It sounded great. I just hope she appreciates it! :rolleyes:

So, thanks for all your help. I am excited to learn more, but I think I'll have to brush up on the terminology first!

Mag-Py

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Brett said:
I know nothing about this specific TT, except it's a budget belt drive

The PL-512 is completely manual, and was the base model (514 was the auto-return version, and the full auto was probably the 516). This dates from about 1980 during the heyday of the Japanese Direct Drive -- properly set-up it outperformed its more expensive brethern.

IMO you couldn't have picked a better example from the myriads of simple belt-drives that flowed out of the CEC factory.

dave

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I bought a PL-12 which was the low level Pioneer, in about 1973. It was surprisingly nice- well built , and must have been pretty good because the system sounded quite good. I suspect yours is similar, so you got a good deal. I'm sure we would tear our hair out at whatever cartridge you got (the thing with the needle). Better we don't know! For cheap cartridges, a lot of people seem to like the Grado brand, If you ever want to upgrade they range in price from $60 to about $2000 I think at online places such as Audio Advisor. Try to follow the instructions with the cartridge regarding getting it bolted in place and aligned corrrectly.
Nice present, since she collects records, I'm sure she'll love it!

Well...

She absolutely loved the present! I felt like an expert telling her how to hook it up and using the "language." We listened to her Janis Joplin records and she cried because she was so happy (and also a little drunk). I appreciate all the help so much!

Brett, if you ever find out the name of the RIAA connection that Radio Shack sells please let me know. Her roommate is the one with the receiver that has the phono selection so I just want to give her the info. for the amp. so whenever she moves out she can still use it.

Thanks again guys!

Mag-Py

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Andrew... you beat me to the pic... so i'll expand on it. Attached is an example set of CEC belt drive TTs from the late 70s, early 80s. The PL512 is top right, next to it the previous gen represented by a PL 115D, below are a Technics & a Yamaha.

dave

Attachments

• 4xcec.jpg
    4xcec.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 416
Mag-Py said:
She absolutely loved the present! I felt like an expert telling her how to hook it up and using the "language." We listened to her Janis Joplin records and she cried because she was so happy (and also a little drunk).

Excellent!
I'm a big Janis fan too.

Brett, if you ever find out the name of the RIAA connection that Radio Shack sells please let me know. Her roommate is the one with the receiver that has the phono selection so I just want to give her the info. for the amp. so whenever she moves out she can still use it.

Here you go. Item # 970-1018

http://www.radioshack.com/product.a...8EB3B4C879EE1E0C6BFDF0320495A1F4247BEB530B420

A second option would be a second hand amplifier/receiver from a reputable source with a phono stage included which would probably cost about the same amount and not require batteries. If we lived on the same continent, I'd give you one as I have a few laying around here.

Thanks again for the help Brett. I will probably look around for a second-hand receiver, I don't know why I didn't think of that.:idea:

Dave and Andrew...Great pictures. Seeing them makes me want to get a TT for myself. Or maybe take the 512 back. :devilr:
Nah, I wouldn't do that, but I came close to keeping it for myself after using it to listen to my old Santana record. :shhh:

Hugo...You can be my girlfriend anytime, but I am a girl and I am assuming you're a guy, so...wouldn't things get a little weird...with you being my girlfriend and all? :scratch2: I think I know what you meant to say though!

Thanks for all the other replies. I really appreciate the help and kindness. :)

Mag-Py

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.