SP-10 mkII, the next project - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2011, 02:15 AM   #31
diyAudio Member
 
user510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Seattle, WA. USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
My previous SP10 plinth was heavy, very heavy. Mass, they like lots of well damped mass. Hollow out all of the spare hollow sections and fill it with lead shot and very fine pure sand. And if you watertight the wood with lots of epoxy, some oil too.
I was daydreaming about using lead shot. There would be plenty of areas on this design that could contain significant amounts of shot.

I believe the Teres/Galibier/Redpoint groups tended to use #9. Sometimes with silicone oil.

It's all possible.

Although I wonder if there isn't a suitable substitute for lead shot. While it is excellent for its density, lead is also an environmental hazard. Not very 'green' for 2011.


-Steve
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 02:36 AM   #32
diyAudio Member
 
kevinahcc20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Farmington Hills, MI USA
Depleted uranium?
__________________
Kevin(ahcc20)...I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 02:40 AM   #33
diyAudio Member
 
Brett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by user510 View Post
I was daydreaming about using lead shot. There would be plenty of areas on this design that could contain significant amounts of shot.

I believe the Teres/Galibier/Redpoint groups tended to use #9. Sometimes with silicone oil.
That's where I originally got the idea years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user510 View Post
Although I wonder if there isn't a suitable substitute for lead shot. While it is excellent for its density, lead is also an environmental hazard. Not very 'green' for 2011.


-Steve
How is it a hazard sealed inside an enclosure? Use gloves if that paranoid when handling it (I've never needed to actually touch the lead using it this way), and when it comes time to dispose of the plinth, remove the lead and take to a metal recycler.

I'm beginning to think 'green' means remove thinking processes before commenting.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 03:50 AM   #34
diyAudio Member
 
user510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Seattle, WA. USA
Quote:
How is it a hazard sealed inside an enclosure? Use gloves if that paranoid when handling it (I've never needed to actually touch the lead using it this way), and when it comes time to dispose of the plinth, remove the lead and take to a metal recycler.

I'm beginning to think 'green' means remove thinking processes before commenting.
Not paranoia so much as being socially responsible.

If we use it and write about it on the web, others will also.
I'd just like to find a substitute that works similarly but without the bio-hazard properties that lead has.

substitutes:
Thorens, back in the seventies, used a kind of cast iron granule for the same purpose within the plinth of the Reference. I suppose that the iron on all those surviving References has turned to rust by now.

Steel shot with oil.

Tungsten shot ($$$)

?

ideas?

-Steve
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 05:53 AM   #35
diyAudio Member
 
Brett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
It is only a biohazard if not contained*, which it is in this application. When it needs to be disposed of, do so in the correct manner via local laws and recycling processes where it will most likely be re melted and used in other applications. It's not like it's radioactive and proximity to it alone is harmful.

So explain to me how it is harmful enclased in an epoxy coated block of wood that will (most likely) never move. It's not like it's going to be fed to children or scattered in waterways.

* obviously referring to lead shot here.

Last edited by Brett; 24th August 2011 at 06:03 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 06:31 AM   #36
diyAudio Member
 
user510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Seattle, WA. USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
It is only a biohazard if not contained*, which it is in this application. When it needs to be disposed of, do so in the correct manner via local laws and recycling processes where it will most likely be re melted and used in other applications. It's not like it's radioactive and proximity to it alone is harmful.

So explain to me how it is harmful enclased in an epoxy coated block of wood that will (most likely) never move. It's not like it's going to be fed to children or scattered in waterways.

* obviously referring to lead shot here.
It's not the lead shot that goes in the plinth that is of concern. It's the stuff left over that gets left in a sealed container, in the garage, then forgotten. You die (natural causes). Someone else goes rummaging around your stuff in the garage afterward and starts tossing this and that around. That's the shot that has the potential to contaminate the environment.

Then the others who read these threads, try it and aren't so particular about how they dispose of the excess shot. etc.

-Steve
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 08:34 AM   #37
diyAudio Member
 
Brett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by user510 View Post
It's not the lead shot that goes in the plinth that is of concern. It's the stuff left over that gets left in a sealed container, in the garage, then forgotten.
So you espouse responsibility for potentially toxic materials, but are too lazy to dispose of your own excess correctly? Somewhat of a double standard, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by user510 View Post
You die (natural causes). Someone else goes rummaging around your stuff in the garage afterward and starts tossing this and that around. That's the shot that has the potential to contaminate the environment.
Long bow drawn to make a point. So your family wouldn't care either?
I am far from green poster boy, but I spent an hour ringing around and googling to find out what to do with the chemicals and other waste products in my mother's home after she died. It wasn't difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user510 View Post
Then the others who read these threads, try it and aren't so particular about how they dispose of the excess shot. etc.

-Steve
Well now they have read several posts that discuss correct recycling or disposal. If they choose not to do so, then they are foolish and irresponsible. You saying DONT! is hardly likely to change their behaviour then, and it's not your job.

Someone else's potentially unsociable behaviour that may or may not occur, is a universal reason for not using an otherwise safe product that is effective, cheap and recyclable?
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2011, 06:00 AM   #38
diyAudio Member
 
user510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Seattle, WA. USA
The past two weekends have been spent in the garage preparing the plinth in these next four photos.

At this stage I am checking for fit of the motor unit to the plinth. Then fitting the armboard. Tomorrow, I layout the drill targets for mounting the tonearm, which will be a Black Zeta as noted at the beginning of the thread.

The plinth is still rough and requires much more sanding board work before I can begin the lacquer process. But the overall shape can be seen.

Click the image to open in full size.

I chose to build the heaviest version of the three drawings that I made. This is a large heavy turntable. Length 22.375 inches. Width: 18 inches. I haven't weighed the unit, but can tell just by carrying the thing around that this is indeed a massive thing.

Click the image to open in full size.



Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

I should have the tonearm fitted and aligned by tomorrow. Perhaps I'll be able to give the rig a test spin prior to doing any further work.

-Steve
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 11:25 AM   #39
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Helmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Winterswijk
Looks sleek Steve only the color of the tone arm board shout be aluminium would be my taste.
__________________
( (( KUGELWELLE )) )
recent projects :OB-mk1 /fatboy / monitor-xl / Horn-AM / dappolito / td124-mk1-rb301 / Hybrid-pse / Vfet
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 04:50 AM   #40
diyAudio Member
 
user510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Seattle, WA. USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Looks sleek Steve only the color of the tone arm board shout be aluminium would be my taste.
Hi Helmuth.


Time will tell soon enough when I have it finished. But in my first idea, I thought the black lacquer plinth would contrast nicely to the aluminum of the motor unit. And the deep red of the purpleheart would compliment the black of both the plinth and tonearm.

But also I chose purpleheart for this project because I've used it before and liked both the sound I got as well as the looks of it against a different black lacquer plinth.

Click the image to open in full size.

-Steve
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Layered plinth for SP-10 jlsem Analogue Source 74 13th April 2009 11:48 PM
Technics SP-10 speed problems Stefanoo Analogue Source 3 17th August 2008 11:05 PM
Technics SP 10 Speed Problems rollinr Analogue Source 26 21st June 2004 07:44 AM
SP 10 Service Manual romero Analogue Source 1 13th April 2004 04:45 AM
Technics SP-10 MKII pitch control peterb Analogue Source 6 28th March 2004 02:29 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:19 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2