SP-10 mkII, the next project - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2012, 08:53 PM   #101
simoon is offline simoon  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon View Post
Hi Steve. Although my main turntable interest is in getting the best I can from the SP10 mkII, I have applied the same ideas to a building a plinth for the Teac TN-400 turntable. This turntable had a brief production life before the introduction of quartz lock. It is a servo control design with a discrete strobe and touch sensitive controls. I have only seen the one in the flesh, for which I made a resin plinth. The magna-float is a partially magnetic levitation of the platter to reduce the load on the thrust bearing for performance and wear reasons. Apparently there were legal reasons for Teac to discontinue the TN-400.
It is really quite amazing that you mention the very rare Teac TN-400, because that is the table that I need to build a plinth for!

The plinth you built for it is beautiful.

You are correct, Teac used the 'Magna-Float' technology without paying the company that patented it (also called Magna-Float) for the rights. They were legally forced to sell off their stock of these tables and desist making them.

Back in the 70's, a friend who was working at Federated (a hi-fi chain in Los Angeles) called me up when they got a bunch of these in. Another friend and I each bought one for abut $100.

Years ago I sold mine to yet another friend when I decided to go the belt drive direction, who is happily still using his with a Denon arm. Fortunately for me, my other friend that I originally bought these with, decided (against my recommendation) to buy a cheap TT with built in USB to convert his vinyl to MP3 (the horror) and gave me his Teac mounted on a hard wood plinth.

Now, all I have to do is build a resin/cat litter plinth to replace the hard wood.
Old 6th October 2012, 10:44 PM   #102
Bon is offline Bon  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoon View Post
It is really quite amazing that you mention the very rare Teac TN-400, because that is the table that I need to build a plinth for!

The plinth you built for it is beautiful.

You are correct, Teac used the 'Magna-Float' technology without paying the company that patented it (also called Magna-Float) for the rights. They were legally forced to sell off their stock of these tables and desist making them.

Now, all I have to do is build a resin/cat litter plinth to replace the hard wood.
Thanks for the compliment. It did turn out well.
You might want to remove the transformer from under the Teac chassis. It removes a source of electrical hum and mechanical vibration and further, allows the chassis to sit flush on the base of the plinth for improved damping. The transformer is placed in a screened metal case and triple decoupled by the existing internal grommets and rubber feet.

Buy General Purpose Enclosures Enclosure,metal,aluminium,diecast,black,125x125x75 mm Hammond 1590KBK online from RS for next day delivery.

A 4-wire umbilical connects the transformer primary and secondary to the turntable through a 4-pin xlr. I made the umbilical long enough for the transformer case to sit on a seperate shelf. The existing mains cable is left in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1392.jpg (733.5 KB, 506 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1396.jpg (372.1 KB, 475 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1397.jpg (413.4 KB, 458 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1398.jpg (383.2 KB, 430 views)
Old 8th October 2012, 05:03 PM   #103
simoon is offline simoon  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks for the compliment. It did turn out well.
You might want to remove the transformer from under the Teac chassis. It removes a source of electrical hum and mechanical vibration and further, allows the chassis to sit flush on the base of the plinth for improved damping. The transformer is placed in a screened metal case and triple decoupled by the existing internal grommets and rubber feet.

Buy General Purpose Enclosures Enclosure,metal,aluminium,diecast,black,125x125x75 mm Hammond 1590KBK online from RS for next day delivery.

A 4-wire umbilical connects the transformer primary and secondary to the turntable through a 4-pin xlr. I made the umbilical long enough for the transformer case to sit on a seperate shelf. The existing mains cable is left in place.
Sounds like a great idea. For the minor amount of work and parts, I'm sure it provides a reasonable improvement.

What did you use as a mold for the plinth? Did you build one, or use some already existing item?

Did you color the resin, or paint it afterwards?

Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 10:42 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoon View Post
Sounds like a great idea. For the minor amount of work and parts, I'm sure it provides a reasonable improvement.

What did you use as a mold for the plinth? Did you build one, or use some already existing item?

Did you color the resin, or paint it afterwards?

Thanks
Built a mold (bottom, sides and an insert the same shape as the cut-out) from screwed together form-plywood with the smooth surface, best for removal of the mold. The raw edges of the insert are taped with smooth grey gaffer tape and mold release is used on all surfaces. The resin is poured in upside down. The top of the pour is the bottom of the plinth, about 30 mm thick. The raw plinth is filled and sanded smooth then sprayed. See post #69. I did not colour the resin. It will not come out smooth enough to use without a surface colour which makes tinting the resin a waste. The mold was destroyed when removing the plinth. In the attached diagram you can see the transformer can is proud of the other metal work. Removing it makes the mold simpler. The plinth is about 90 mm deep with the minimum wall thickness about 30 mm.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Teac Template.pdf (89.5 KB, 45 views)
Old 8th October 2012, 11:58 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Built a mold (bottom, sides and an insert the same shape as the cut-out) from screwed together form-plywood with the smooth surface, best for removal of the mold.
i forgot to mention you need a mold insert for the arm-base. You could make this an extension of the chassis mold insert. Again look at the second picture in post #69.
Old 15th October 2012, 02:14 AM   #106
diyAudio Member

One detail at a time.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 25th October 2012, 09:50 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

happy to see it all worked so well.
Old 25th October 2012, 10:06 PM   #108
sklimek is offline sklimek  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a SP-10 Mk2 mounting template from soundfountain that was never used and is free for anyone that could use it. Just pm me and we'll figure out how to get it to you. I am in Pittsburgh.
Old 25th October 2012, 10:38 PM   #109
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
..................and I have a factory template which is free to any European member! Goes to the first personal message sender who undertakes that they will not sell it but pass it on to another member when they have done with it! Please give your name and full postal address!

Limitation is due to postage costs, NOT to prejudice against any members of any non-European nationalities!!
Old 26th October 2012, 02:20 PM   #110
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Huge thanks to Brianco for the template - much appreciated indeed kind Sir!

- John

Hide this!Advertise here!